Derivation of Hydrodynamic Equations from Interacting Particles

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a derivation of the hydrodynamic equations from interacting particles in a pedantic way, specifically addressing the issue of the free streaming length being the same order as the averaging box. The books "Principles of Condensed Matter Physics", "Molecular Hydrodynamics", and "Macrotransport Processes" may have relevant derivations, but the speaker is not fully confident in their understanding of the material.
dario.bettoni
Hi there, does any of you know a place where I can find the derivation of the hydrodynamic equations (navier stokes, etc) starting from interacting particles? I need this done in a pedantic way as I have to deal with the case in which the free streaming length is of the same order of the averaging box, which is not the case in standard textbooks.

Thanks,

Dario

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not familiar with the terminology "free streaming length" but the Navier-Stokes equations assume a continuous medium, so they aren't derived from individual particle collisions.

dario.bettoni said:
Hi there, does any of you know a place where I can find the derivation of the hydrodynamic equations (navier stokes, etc) starting from interacting particles? I need this done in a pedantic way as I have to deal with the case in which the free streaming length is of the same order of the averaging box, which is not the case in standard textbooks.

Thanks,

Dario

Chaikin and Lubensky's book "Principles of Condensed Matter Physics" has a derivation, as does Boon and Yip, "Molecular Hydrodynamics" and to some degree Brenner and Edwards "Macrotransport Processes". I wouldn't claim to fully understand the material, tho.

1. What is the purpose of deriving hydrodynamic equations from interacting particles?

The purpose of deriving hydrodynamic equations from interacting particles is to better understand the behavior and dynamics of fluids and gases. By studying the interactions between individual particles, we can gain insight into the larger-scale behavior of these substances and make accurate predictions about their movement and properties.

2. How are hydrodynamic equations derived from interacting particles?

Hydrodynamic equations are derived using statistical mechanics and the principles of fluid mechanics. This involves analyzing the forces and interactions between individual particles and using mathematical models to describe their collective behavior on a macroscopic scale.

3. What are some applications of hydrodynamic equations derived from interacting particles?

These equations have a wide range of applications in fields such as fluid dynamics, meteorology, and oceanography. They are used to model and predict the behavior of fluids and gases in various systems, including weather patterns, ocean currents, and industrial processes.

4. Can hydrodynamic equations be applied to both classical and quantum systems?

Yes, hydrodynamic equations can be applied to both classical and quantum systems. However, in quantum systems, additional factors such as quantum fluctuations and wave-particle duality must be taken into account in order to accurately describe the behavior of the particles.

5. What are the limitations of hydrodynamic equations derived from interacting particles?

One limitation of these equations is that they are based on simplifying assumptions and may not accurately describe highly complex or turbulent systems. Additionally, they may not be applicable on a microscopic scale, where quantum effects dominate. Other factors such as non-ideal behavior of particles or chemical reactions may also limit their accuracy in certain situations.