Nuclear engineering grad school advice and future

In summary: Not many students do it. The few who I met who do it are funding themselves since there isn't much time to do research/TA between the two degrees. I'd recommend staying away from it and just go for Masters and/or PhD in Nuclear Engineering at UTK.
varun.kalra13
I am from India and i have a bachelors in mechanical engineering. I have recently given my GRE and TOEFL with scores of 313/340 (161-quant & 152-verbal & 3.5-AWA) in gre & 110/120 in TOEFL. I am planning for MS and probably PHD in nuclear engineering. I am not interested in either hydraulics or computational work. I have an inclination for materials, reactor designs and fusion technology and even waste treatment and disposal. Also, i have a problem of color blindness and that has caused a lot of problem for me to get a job in India after my mechanical engineering. I was wondering if this is going to cause a problem for me in the future after getting an MS or PHD in US.
Also here is a list of colleges that i am considering for further studies:-
university of Michigan, ann arbor
texas A&M, college station,
university of california, Berkeley
pennsylvania state university,
georgia institute of technology,
north carolina state
university of wisconsin, madison
also,
outside USA:-
ETH & EPFL, Switzerland

PS- please suggest the best college for me out of these or any others through the points of knowledge and job guarantee after the course.

Engineering news on Phys.org
This is awesome. The website is very helpful. However, i recently heard that Wisconsin was good for hydraulics and plasma research and I'm not sure about its international students' intake.

North Carolina state has excellent faculty in Plasma physics/ fusion technology. Also they are expanding their nuclear materials faculty. I got my MS from there and they do cater to people from other disciplines; the even have a course for people with non-nuclear bachelors degree holders.

NuclearVision said:
North Carolina state has excellent faculty in Plasma physics/ fusion technology. Also they are expanding their nuclear materials faculty. I got my MS from there and they do cater to people from other disciplines; the even have a course for people with non-nuclear bachelors degree holders.

thanx for the reply. :approve: I would be applying to North Carolina state as i have a great interest in the fusion technology. Can comment on the placement cell of North Carolina state ?
Are there any opportunities for International students to work in US after completing their MS in Nuclear engineering ?

Raleigh is a really nice smaller city with lots to do. It is also about 3 hours from the ocean and the mountains (in opposite directions) Duke energy has a presence in Raleigh and is headquartered in Charlotte (NC) so there are good job opportunities. Also GE has fuel fabrication in Wilmington (NC).

NuclearVision said:
Raleigh is a really nice smaller city with lots to do. It is also about 3 hours from the ocean and the mountains (in opposite directions) Duke energy has a presence in Raleigh and is headquartered in Charlotte (NC) so there are good job opportunities. Also GE has fuel fabrication in Wilmington (NC).

Thanx for the big help, bro.. :smile:.

nukapprentice said:
If you're looking for a materials program in nuclear engineering then I STRONGLY suggest you take a look at the nuclear fuel and material research projects website ([PLAIN]http://allen.neep.wisc.edu/s... What is the future scope after the program ?

Last edited by a moderator:
varun.kalra13 said:
How is the MS(nuclear) + MBA dual degree program offered by University of Tennessee, Knoxville ?? What is the future scope after the program ?

Not many students do it. The few who I met who do it are funding themselves since there isn't much time to do research/TA between the two degrees. I'd recommend staying away from it and just go for Masters and/or PhD in Nuclear Engineering at UTK.

Also, the scope of the industry in terms of jobs? Can you clarify that question?

1. What are the basic requirements for applying to a nuclear engineering graduate program?

The specific requirements for each program may vary, but generally, applicants should have a Bachelor's degree in a related field such as engineering, physics, or chemistry. They should also have a strong academic background, with a minimum GPA of 3.0. Some programs may also require GRE scores, letters of recommendation, and a statement of purpose.

2. What areas of focus are available within a nuclear engineering graduate program?

Nuclear engineering is a broad field, and graduate programs may offer different areas of focus such as nuclear reactor design, nuclear materials, or nuclear waste management. It is important to research the specific program's curriculum and faculty expertise to find a focus that aligns with your interests and career goals.

3. How does a graduate degree in nuclear engineering prepare me for a career in the field?

A graduate degree in nuclear engineering provides a strong foundation in the principles and applications of nuclear science and technology. This includes advanced coursework in areas such as reactor physics, nuclear materials, and radiation protection. Additionally, many programs also offer opportunities for hands-on research and industry experience, which can be valuable for future job opportunities.

4. What are the job prospects for graduates with a degree in nuclear engineering?

The job prospects for nuclear engineering graduates are generally positive, with opportunities in industries such as power generation, nuclear waste management, and defense. However, the job market may vary depending on factors such as location and current demand for nuclear energy. It is important to research the job market and network with professionals in the field to stay informed about potential opportunities.

5. What advice do you have for students considering a graduate degree in nuclear engineering?

My advice would be to thoroughly research different programs and their areas of focus, as well as faculty expertise and opportunities for research and industry experience. It is also important to network with professionals in the field and stay updated on industry developments. Additionally, students should consider their long-term career goals and how a graduate degree in nuclear engineering can help them achieve those goals.