Don't understand critical part of derivation in textbook.

In summary, the author is trying to find the integral of a function sine series, but gets stuck on the last equation. He finds a simplified version that he is able to solve.
Gibby_Canes
I've been working my way through Intro to Electrodynamics (Griffiths), and in Chapter 3, one of the derivations comes out to

∫sin(n[itex]\pi[/itex]y/a) sin(n'[itex]\pi[/itex]y/a) dy ={ 0 if n'[itex]\neq[/itex]n
a/2 if n'=n

where the function is integrated from 0 to a.

I assume there is some logical interpretation that allows me to reduce the answer down to just those two cases, but for the life of me I cannot figure out how. He skips over it as if it were trivial. Maybe it is supposed to be, but I didn't have any issues with all of the PDE's, so I find it frustrating that this is causing such a gap in my understanding.

If it is of any help, that answer I got is :

(an*sin([itex]\pi[/itex]m)cos([itex]\pi[/itex]n)-am*cos([itex]\pi[/itex]m)sin([itex]\pi[/itex]n)
/([itex]\pi[/itex](m^2-n^2))edit: if anyone has the book, it is possible that I'm just no seeing a previous relation that simplifies this, so it may help to look

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Gibby_Canes said:
I've been working my way through Intro to Electrodynamics (Griffiths), and in Chapter 3, one of the derivations comes out to

∫sin(n[itex]\pi[/itex]y/a) sin(n'[itex]\pi[/itex]y/a) dy ={ 0 if n'[itex]\neq[/itex]n
a/2 if n'=n

where the function is integrated from 0 to a.

I assume there is some logical interpretation that allows me to reduce the answer down to just those two cases, but for the life of me I cannot figure out how. He skips over it as if it were trivial. Maybe it is supposed to be, but I didn't have any issues with all of the PDE's, so I find it frustrating that this is causing such a gap in my understanding.

If it is of any help, that answer I got is :

(an*sin([itex]\pi[/itex]m)cos([itex]\pi[/itex]n)-am*cos([itex]\pi[/itex]m)sin([itex]\pi[/itex]n)
/([itex]\pi[/itex](m^2-n^2))

edit: if anyone has the book, it is possible that I'm just no seeing a previous relation that simplifies this, so it may help to look

$$\sin a\sin b=\frac{1}{2}\left(\cos(a-b)-\cos(a+b)\right)\Longrightarrow\int_0^a\sin\frac{n\pi y}{a}\sin\frac{n'\pi y}{a}\,dy\Longrightarrow\frac{1}{2}\int_0^a\left(\cos\left[(n-n')\frac{\pi y}{a}\right]-cos\left[(n+n')\frac{\pi y}{a}\right]\right) dy=$$

$$=\left.\frac{1}{2}\frac{a}{(n-n')\pi}\sin\left[(n-n')\frac{\pi y}{a}\right]\right|_0^a-\left.\frac{1}{2}\frac{a}{(n+n')\pi}\sin\left[(n+n')\frac{\pi y}{a}\right]\right|_0^a=0\,\,\,,\,\text{if}\,\,\,n\neq n'$$

since we get to evaluate above the function sine in integer multiples of [itex]\,\pi\,[/itex].

OTOH, if [itex]\,n=n'\,[/itex] , then we get:

$$\int_0^a\sin^2\frac{n\pi y}{a}dy=\left.\frac{a}{2\pi n}\left(\frac{n\pi y}{a}-\sin \frac{n\pi y}{a}\cos\frac{n\pi y}{a}\right)\right|_0^a=\frac{a}{2\pi n}(n\pi)=\frac{a}{2}$$

Ah, I see. I didn't realize that you were supposed to redo the entire integral after substituting for n' = n. I thought you were supposed to be able to infer the answer from the result of the first calculation. Thank you, the first 2/3 of your work looks very similar to mine.

kind of feel like a dufus, but I don't think I'd have ever though of that solution

It would have been really helpful if you had provided the full reference to Griffiths.

However I always cringe when posters bring this book up it seems to generate more than its share of queries.

I assume you are trying to proceed from equations 3.30 / 3.31 page 130.

Here is an extended derivation.

Apply the boundary condition V=1 at x=0.

[tex]1 = {C_1}\sin \frac{{\pi y}}{a} + {C_2}\sin \frac{{2\pi y}}{a} + {C_3}\sin \frac{{3\pi y}}{a}...[/tex]

This is a standard Fourier sine series which may be treated as follows

Consider the Fourier sine expansion of f(by)

[tex]f(by) = {a_1}\sin by + {a_2}\sin 2by + {a_3}\sin 3by... + {a_n}\sin nby[/tex]

Where the an are given by

[tex]{a_{{n_n}}} = \frac{2}{\pi }\int\limits_0^\pi {f(by)\sin n(by)} d(by)[/tex]

In this series if f(by) = 1 then

[tex]{a_n} = \left[ {\begin{array}{*{20}{c}}
{\frac{4}{{n\pi }},\;n\;odd} \\
{0,\;n\;even} \\
\end{array}} \right][/tex]

and

[tex]f(by) = 1 = \frac{4}{\pi }\left( {\sin by + \frac{1}{3}\sin 3by + \frac{1}{5}\sin 5by...} \right)[/tex]

Comparing this with the original series above leads to

[tex]{C_1} = \frac{4}{\pi },\quad {C_2} = 0,\quad {C_3} = \frac{4}{{3\pi }},\quad {C_4} = 0,\quad {C_5} = \frac{4}{{5\pi }}[/tex]

Does this help?

Last edited:
It does help, though this is later in the derivation. Sorry I didn't include the full reference.

The part that was giving me grief has been dealt with. I appreciate the extra info on the Fourier bit though. I still need to get more comfortable with that.

1. What does "derivation" mean in this context?

In this context, "derivation" refers to the process of logically and systematically explaining or deriving a concept or equation from basic principles or assumptions.

2. How can I better understand the critical part of the derivation?

To better understand the critical part of the derivation, it may be helpful to break it down into smaller steps and carefully examine each step. You can also try seeking additional resources or asking a teacher or peer for clarification.

3. What should I do if I still don't understand the critical part of the derivation?

If you still don't understand the critical part of the derivation, don't panic. It's important to take a step back and approach the problem from a different angle. You can also try taking a break and coming back to it with a fresh perspective.

4. Are there any tips for understanding derivations in textbooks?

Yes, here are a few tips for understanding derivations in textbooks:

• Start by reviewing the basic principles or assumptions that the derivation is based on.
  • Read through the derivation step-by-step, making sure to understand each step before moving on.
  • Try working through the derivation on your own, using the textbook as a guide.
  • If possible, look for real-life examples or applications of the concept or equation being derived.

5. Why is understanding derivations important in science?

Understanding derivations is important in science because it allows us to see the logic and reasoning behind a concept or equation. This not only helps us to better understand the concept itself, but also enables us to apply it to different situations and make connections with other concepts in science.