Computing In AE Graduate School

In summary, the conversation discussed the use of personal computers for intensive computing tasks in the field of aerodynamics and CFD. It was mentioned that many CFD colleagues use workstations provided by their advisor and the department's cluster for running programs, as most software is licensed. However, some individuals preferred to have their own computer for efficiency purposes.
jellofj
I'll be concentrating in/researching aerodynamics and CFD. Will I be doing the programming/mesh generation/code execution (or any other intensive computing) on my own computer or the department's super computer/workstations?

I had a powerful desktop in ME undergrad and frankly it wasn't really needed. I also ended up working in the computer lab anyways because I was always on campus. If it is even possible to use my own computer for the above tasks I'd prefer to do that otherwise I am thinking of getting a portable/ultra-portable notebook this time around. If anyone has experience in the matter please feel free to share :smile:.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know much about CFD but depending on your method most flows of interest require super computers or a large cluster of processors.

Most of my CFD colleagues work primarily on workstations provided by their advisor and by running jobs on the department cluster. It would be nice to have a decent computer of your own but definitely not necessary to have a powerhouse.

As boneh3ad said, typically cfd programs are run on department provided computers because most of the software is licensed. Furthermore, the computers used for CFD are striped of all other programs and are dedicated for cfd purposes only.

Thank you for the replies! I spent a lot of time on campus during the last half of my undergrad and felt I could've been a lot more efficient with my own notebook.

1. What is the importance of computing in AE graduate school?

Computing plays a crucial role in the field of Aerospace Engineering (AE). It allows for complex calculations, simulations, and data analysis, which are essential for designing and testing aircraft and spacecraft. In graduate school, computing skills are necessary for conducting research, developing new technologies, and solving real-world problems in the aerospace industry.

2. What are the main computing tools used in AE graduate school?

The main computing tools used in AE graduate school include programming languages such as MATLAB, Python, and C++, computational fluid dynamics software like ANSYS and FLUENT, and finite element analysis software like ABAQUS. Additionally, students may also use specialized software for aerodynamics, structural analysis, and control systems.

3. Do I need prior computing experience to excel in AE graduate school?

No, prior computing experience is not a requirement for success in AE graduate school. However, it can be beneficial to have some basic knowledge of programming and software usage. Many programs offer introductory courses or workshops to help students develop the necessary computing skills for their studies.

4. How can I improve my computing skills in AE graduate school?

There are various ways to improve computing skills in AE graduate school. Apart from taking relevant courses, students can practice by working on research projects, participating in coding challenges or hackathons, and collaborating with peers. It is also helpful to seek guidance from professors and utilize online resources and tutorials.

5. Can I pursue a career in computing with an AE graduate degree?

Yes, an AE graduate degree can lead to a career in computing. As technology continues to advance in the aerospace industry, there is a growing demand for professionals with both engineering and computing skills. Graduates with an AE degree and strong computing background are sought after in fields like aircraft and spacecraft design, data analysis, and aerospace software development.