Calculate work =variable force & variable distance

In summary, the person is asking for help in calculating work done on a system by a variable force and distance at each point. They are seeking a formula to use in an Excel sheet due to having a large amount of data. The data provided is unclear and it is necessary to determine if the force and distance are in the same direction. A third column may need to be added to the spreadsheet to calculate the incremental distance and then multiply it by the force. Another suggestion is to make a plot of the data and estimate the area under the curve. It is important to consider the units of force and distance in order to give a meaningful result.
Bala06
Dear All

I would like to calculate work done on the system by variable force & distance at each point.

Kindly let me know to the formula how to calculate work in excel sheet (because I'm having huge data)

I have attached my copy of data for your reference.

Kindly advice.

Many Thanks
Balaji

Attachments

• help-01.xls
    98.5 KB · Views: 228
Physics news on Phys.org
Bala06 - when you integrate force times distance you need to remember that these are vectors. Your table of data is unclear - are the values given 'in the same direction'? I mean, is the direction of motion the same as the direction of the force? If so then you can multiply (force x distance). Also, it looks like the values of distance in your table 'accumulate' or in other words, they represent distance along an axis. When you do the integral it needs to be FxdS where dS is the 'differential' distance. The distance moved while the force is applied.

So, assuming the force & distance are along the same direction, then you need to make a third column in your spreadsheet to determine the incremental distance in each row of the sheet, and then multiply that by the force in that row, and then add that product to the sum of the previous products.

Alternately, make a plot of the data and estimate the area under the curve. In your case, it looks to me like you could make a pretty good estimate; use that to check your spreadsheet-calculated integral.

Finally you need to consider the units; your data does not indicate what the units of force & distance are. You need to know that so that you can give meaningful units to your calculated integral.

What is work?

Work is a measure of the amount of energy transferred when a force is applied to an object and the object moves in the direction of the force. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force.

What is variable force?

Variable force is a force that changes in magnitude or direction as the object moves. This can be caused by changes in speed, direction, or other factors.

What is variable distance?

Variable distance refers to the distance an object moves in the direction of the applied force, which can change throughout the movement. This can be caused by changes in speed, direction, or other factors.

How do you calculate work with variable force and variable distance?

To calculate work with variable force and variable distance, you will need to use the integral calculus method. This involves breaking down the force and distance into smaller, manageable segments and calculating the work for each segment. Then, you can add up the work done for each segment to find the total work.

What are some real-life examples of calculating work with variable force and variable distance?

One example could be pushing a shopping cart through a store. The force applied to the cart may vary as you push it over different surfaces and around corners, while the distance you travel with the cart will also vary. Another example could be rowing a boat, as the force applied to the oars will vary as you move through the water and the distance you travel with each stroke will also vary.