Solving for Parallel Tangent Lines: A Confusing Example

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a point on the curve y = 1 + 2e^x - 3x where the tangent line is parallel to the line 3x - y = 5. The person asking the question wonders if they can simply compare the slopes, and another person confirms this approach and suggests finding the derivative of the curve and setting it equal to the slope of the line. They also discuss a careless error made and the correct method for solving the problem. Ultimately, it is determined that the point is (ln(3), 7-3ln(3)) and the conversation ends with a suggestion to sketch the graph for better understanding.
zenity
I'm kinda stuck on this question... my text gives me a simple example, but it's far from enlightening. Just wondered if I could get some help!

"At what point on the curve y = 1 + 2e^x - 3x is the tangent line parallel to the line 3x -y =5?"

Would I just need to simply compare the slopes?

I found the derivative of the curve: y'= 2e^x - 3

So I suppose you just set 2e^x = 3... then you get x = ln(3)/2 ?

Thanks~

Physics news on Phys.org
parallel means same slope, so u found [tex]\frac{dy}{dx} = 2e^x - 3 [/tex]
[tex]y=-5+3x, \frac{dy}{dx} = 3[/tex]
[tex]3 = 2e^x - 3[/tex]
[tex]3 = e^x[/tex]
[tex]ln(3) = x[/tex]

Oh, so I had to compute the derivatives for both slopes, then compare them? Interesting... thanks! I have to digest this info now.

zenity said:
I'm kinda stuck on this question... my text gives me a simple example, but it's far from enlightening. Just wondered if I could get some help!

"At what point on the curve y = 1 + 2e^x - 3x is the tangent line parallel to the line 3x -y =5?"

Would I just need to simply compare the slopes?

I found the derivative of the curve: y'= 2e^x - 3

So I suppose you just set 2e^x = 3... then you get x = ln(3)/2 ?
-------> Should be -----> 2e^x - 3 = 3 -----------> x = ln(3)
Thanks~
zenity --

Your original approach was CORRECT. You just made the careless error shown above. Method is to determine slope of the line (compute dy/dx of the line OR determine by inspection (like you did) from the line's {y = mx + b} equation that the slope is "3") and then to equate this value to the curve's tangent slope (found by differentiating the curve's equation like you did).

~~

so the point would be... ( ln(3), 7-3ln(3) ) ?

I'm just a bit confused graphically.

Last edited:
zenity said:
so the point would be... ( ln(3), 7-3ln(3) ) ? <----- CORRECT

I'm just a bit confused graphically.
Your answer is CORRECT. If helpful, sketch the graph to better understand the math. (Or use a graphing calculator.)

~~

Last edited:

FAQ: Solving for Parallel Tangent Lines: A Confusing Example

1. What is a curve?

A curve is a line that is not straight and changes direction continuously. It can be described mathematically as a function, where the output depends on the input. Curves can be found in nature, such as the shape of a wave or the trajectory of a thrown ball, as well as in man-made objects, like roller coasters or bridges.

2. What are parallel lines?

Parallel lines are two or more lines that never intersect, meaning they are always the same distance apart and have the same slope. They have the same direction, but can be different lengths. Examples of parallel lines include railroad tracks, the edges of a notebook, or the lines on a basketball court.

3. How are curves and parallel lines related?

Curves and parallel lines are related in that they both involve lines and their properties. Curves can intersect parallel lines at various points, creating interesting geometric shapes. Additionally, the slope of a curve at a specific point can be parallel to the slope of a line at another point.

4. What is the difference between a curve and a straight line?

A curve is a line that is not straight and changes direction continuously, while a straight line is a line that does not change direction and has a constant slope. Another difference is that a curve can be described using a function, while a straight line can be described using the equation y = mx + b, where m is the slope and b is the y-intercept.

5. How can curves and parallel lines be used in real life?

Curves and parallel lines have many real-life applications. They are used in architecture and engineering to design structures that can withstand different forces. In art and design, they can be used to create visually appealing compositions. In mathematics, they are essential in understanding concepts such as derivatives and integrals. Additionally, curves and parallel lines are used in navigation and map-making to determine distances and angles.