Potential theory for water waves

In summary, the authors derive the Bernoulli equation for unsteady flow using Newton's second law for a fluid element. They equate the dynamical pressure to the change in the potential function, and then integrate through the x, y, and z directions to get the final equation. This equation is valid in the x, y, and z directions.
Nikitin
hi :)

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/mechanic...s-fall-2009/course-text/MIT2_017JF09_ch06.pdf

In page 37 they use Newton's 2nd law for a fluid element (while ignoring viscous forces) to derive the bernoulli equation for unsteady flow.

Well, what I am confused about is the last step: They integrate through the x direction, y direction and then z direction to get 3 separate bernoulli equations,,, but then they just add it all up to one? I don't understand the mathematics behind this as I'm completely new to potential theory.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Furthermore, on page 40 they equate the dynamical pressure {for waterwaves} to be equal to the change in the potential function?? To see what I mean:

From this (Bernoulli) ##p + 0.5 \rho V^2 (\approx 0) + \rho g z +\rho \frac{\partial(\phi)}{\partial(z)} = C##, they go to this: ##p_d = p+\rho g z = -\rho \frac{\partial(\phi)}{\partial(z)}##

How did they do that?

Nikitin said:
hi :)

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/mechanic...s-fall-2009/course-text/MIT2_017JF09_ch06.pdf

In page 37 they use Newton's 2nd law for a fluid element (while ignoring viscous forces) to derive the bernoulli equation for unsteady flow.

Well, what I am confused about is the last step: They integrate through the x direction, y direction and then z direction to get 3 separate bernoulli equations,,, but then they just add it all up to one? I don't understand the mathematics behind this as I'm completely new to potential theory.

This is nothing mysterious, it is just that z=0 for the equations in [itex]\hat{x}[/itex] and [itex]\hat{y}[/itex], so that equation works for all three cases. If that doesn't make sense, do the three integrals and compare the results.

It works through "The first force balance (x direction)" and gets to the result

"Bermouilli forrmula" = ##C_1## when y and z are constant

The same process in the y direction gives
"Bermouilli forrmula" = ##C_2## when z and x are constant

and in the z direction
"Bermouilli forrmula" + ##\rho g z## = ##C_3## when x and y are constant

But ##\rho g z## is a constant when z is constant, so you can merge it into ##C_1## and ##C_2##.

In other words the final equation is actually valid in the x, y, and z directions.

This seems like a tortuous way to get to the result, but I guess that depends what you already know and what the teaching objectives for this part of the course are.

Oh how stupid of me. This is just the same as integrating partial derivatives of a function and then comparing the results to find the actual function. OK, thanks!

1. What is potential theory for water waves?

Potential theory for water waves is a mathematical framework that describes the behavior and characteristics of water waves, such as their propagation, reflection, and refraction, using the concept of a potential function. This potential function is a mathematical representation of the height of the water surface at any given point and time, and is used to solve the governing equations of water wave motion.

2. What are the main applications of potential theory for water waves?

Potential theory for water waves has many practical applications, including predicting the behavior of ocean waves for navigation and offshore engineering, studying the effects of wave loading on coastal structures, and designing wave energy converters. It is also used in numerical simulations to model and forecast tsunamis, storm surges, and other extreme wave events.

3. How does potential theory for water waves differ from other theories of wave motion?

Potential theory for water waves is based on the assumption that the water particles move in a circular or elliptical motion, rather than a purely horizontal or vertical motion, as in other theories. It also considers the effects of gravity and surface tension, which can significantly impact the behavior of water waves. Additionally, potential theory is often used for studying long and moderate waves, whereas other theories may be more suitable for short or highly nonlinear waves.

4. What are the limitations of potential theory for water waves?

Potential theory for water waves has some limitations, such as assuming a constant water depth and neglecting the effects of dissipation and wave breaking. These assumptions may not hold true in certain real-world scenarios, such as near shore or in highly turbulent conditions. Therefore, potential theory may not accurately predict the behavior of waves in these situations and must be used in conjunction with other theories or models.

5. How is potential theory for water waves related to potential flow theory?

Potential theory for water waves is closely related to potential flow theory, which is used to describe the motion of ideal fluids. Both theories use the concept of a potential function to solve the governing equations, but potential flow theory assumes the fluid is inviscid and incompressible, while potential theory for water waves considers the effects of gravity, surface tension, and variable water depth. Therefore, potential theory can be seen as a specialized version of potential flow theory for water waves.