Making a rather unusual magnet

• Thread starter rehandalal
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magnet
In summary, the conversation is about someone making a humbucking pickup for their guitar and needing a strong bar magnet with poles running from one long side to the other. They are asking for suggestions on what material to use and how to magnetize it. The Earth's magnetic field is 0.6 gauss and a refrigerator magnet's is between 10 and 100 gauss.
rehandalal
Hi,

I am making myself a humbucking pickup for my guitar and I need a bar magnet with poles running from one long side to the other (refer to http://www.rehandalal.com/magnet.gif" )... It needs to be a relatively strong magnet. So if anyone could offer any suggestions as to what material I should be magnetizing and how to go about magnetizing it would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Rehan Dalal

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know how strong the magnet should be, maybe you could provide a favorable gauss range for us.

The Earth's magnetic field is about 0.6 gauss, and a refrigerator magnet's, between 10 and 100 gauss. If you want it (≥refrigerator magnet) you'll need to buy one.

Hello Rehan,

It's great to hear that you are experimenting with making your own humbucking pickup for your guitar! In terms of creating a strong bar magnet with poles running from one long side to the other, I would recommend using a rare earth magnet such as neodymium or samarium cobalt. These materials have high magnetic strength and can be easily magnetized to create a strong and consistent magnetic field.

To magnetize the material, you can use a process called "magnetic alignment" where the material is exposed to a strong magnetic field and then cooled in that field. This will align the magnetic domains within the material and create a strong and consistent magnetic field.

Alternatively, you can also use a process called "magnetic pulsing" where the material is exposed to a series of strong magnetic pulses, which will also align the magnetic domains and create a strong magnet. This method is often used for creating custom magnets for specific applications.

I hope this helps and good luck with your project! Let us know how it turns out.

1. How can I make a magnet out of something other than metal?

It is possible to make a magnet out of non-metal materials, such as ceramic or plastic. This can be done by mixing iron oxide particles with the material and then exposing it to a strong magnetic field.

2. Can I make a magnet out of household items?

Yes, there are several household items that can be used to make a magnet, such as a paperclip, nail, or sewing needle. These items can be magnetized by rubbing them against a strong magnet or by using an electrical current.

3. How can I make a magnet with multiple poles?

To create a magnet with multiple poles, you will need to use a strong electromagnet. By varying the strength and direction of the electric current, you can produce different magnetic fields and create multiple poles on the magnet.

4. Can I make a magnet that can attract specific materials?

Yes, you can make a magnet that is specifically designed to attract certain materials. This can be achieved by coating the magnet with a material that has a strong affinity for the desired material, such as nickel or copper.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when making a magnet?

Yes, it is important to be cautious when working with strong magnets or electrical currents. Make sure to wear protective gear and follow proper safety procedures. Also, keep magnets away from electronic devices and credit cards, as they can interfere with their functioning.