MS to teaching position - options?

In summary, the job outlook for people with an MS in physics is competitive, especially for those looking to become college professors. However, there are also opportunities to teach at high schools and community colleges, though these may require a teaching credential. Having a PhD may give an advantage when looking for a teaching position, but it is not necessary for high school teaching. The difference in pay between public and private high school teachers and city college teachers varies. Pursuing an MS in physics can increase chances of getting a teaching position, but it is not a guarantee.
blaughli
I've just started an MS program in physics, and I don't really have a clear career goal. I have realized that many people pursue MS degrees so that they can teach in high schools or at city colleges, and these sound like good options to keep in the cards. What is the job outlook for people with an MS in physics, specifically on the west coast? How much of an advantage does a PhD give you when looking for a teaching position? What is the difference in pay between a public high school teacher, private high school teacher, and city college teacher? Do MS students ever teach at universities? What can one do during pursuit of an MS to increase one's chances of getting a teaching position?

If you have answers to any good questions that I haven't asked, please share!
Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are talking about two totally different things here: college teaching and high school teaching.

Teaching in college almost always requires a Ph.D. Less so at the community college level, but I'd bet that even there, most teachers have one.

Teaching in public school usually requires a teaching credential. The rules for getting a credential vary from state to state. Some states have "fast track" programs to quickly get people with technical degrees into classrooms, but others require a one year credentialing program. You would have to check the requirements in your particular state.

As for job outlook... well, most Ph.D.'s in physics would like to become professors, so the market is and will probably remain very competitive. As for high school teaching, the problem is simply financing... most schools are trying to cut positions, rather than add. (This won't last forever, but it will make things difficult for you right now.)

For high school teaching, having an MS or Ph.D. won't really help you get a job, but you will be paid extra for having either degree.

1. What options are available for transitioning from a MS degree to a teaching position?

There are several options for transitioning from a MS degree to a teaching position. These include obtaining a teaching certificate, completing a teacher preparation program, or pursuing an alternative certification program. Additionally, some schools may offer direct hire positions for individuals with a MS degree in a specific subject area.

2. How long does it take to complete a teacher preparation program?

The length of a teacher preparation program can vary depending on the program and your individual schedule. Generally, these programs can take 1-2 years to complete. However, some programs may offer accelerated or part-time options that can shorten or lengthen the time it takes to complete.

3. Do I need to have a teaching certification to become a teacher?

In most cases, yes. In order to become a certified teacher, you will need to obtain a teaching certificate from the state in which you wish to teach. This typically requires completing a teacher preparation program and passing required exams. However, some schools may offer direct hire positions for individuals with a MS degree in a specific subject area.

4. Can I become a teacher with a MS degree in a non-education related field?

Yes, it is possible to become a teacher with a MS degree in a non-education related field. However, you will likely need to complete a teacher preparation program or alternative certification program in order to obtain a teaching certificate. Some schools may also require additional coursework or exams to demonstrate subject area knowledge.

5. What is the demand for teachers with a MS degree in a specific subject area?

The demand for teachers with a MS degree in a specific subject area can vary depending on location and school district. However, in general, there is a high demand for teachers in STEM (science, technology, engineering, and math) fields, as well as special education and foreign languages. It is important to research the job market in your desired location to determine the demand for your specific degree and subject area.