Practical implementation of focused UV laser

In summary: Cheating may not be the best course of action, as the Chinese laser may not be up to the task of producing a high quality beam. It would be better to purchase a higher quality laser and use a microscope objective to achieve the desired result.
Mike_In_Plano
As a quick heads up, I'm buried over my head in an imager project, and the portion that has given me the most headache is the UV source.

Essentially, I need the source to make nice little 13 micron dots in the 405 nm range. I've been assured by a pair of vendors that this is an easy matter of purchasing a very expensive laser module, launching it into a fiber, and using a precision fiber-lens assembly to focus it.

All very nice except I'm going bankrupt purchasing the 3 micron positioning equipment, having parts machined, and bringing together the raster scan computer / position control.

So, my question is this:
Can I cheat, purchase a cheap Chinese laser from Ebay, place a 12 micron spatial filter between the laser and target, and focus the beam such that its periphery is restricted by the filter prior to reaching the focal point. Then after reaching the focal point allow it to expand to about 13 microns at the target. Thus, I think I'm imaging the pinhole onto the target.

Does this sound viable or am I getting myself into a world of difficulty?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Science news on Phys.org
I don't follow exactly what you mean to do, but the usual way to focus a laser beam to a small spot is to use a microscope objective designed for an infinite image distance and run it backwards. This is what you would probably use anyway to focus the beam into an optical fiber. If the resulting spot isn't good enough, you put a spatial filter at the focus location, let the beam expand, then focus it again with a second lens. You effectively image the spatial filter onto your target, and the spatial filter cleans up the wings of the far-field pattern by throwing away light, so this presumes you have a bright-enough laser to be able to afford the loss.

Thanks Jeff,

This is fairly consistent with what I've been told. Essentially, the method I've been presented with utilizes the nature of a single mode fiber to establish a spatial filtering and then a coated lens is placed a distance from the fiber based upon a focus distance you specify. I've heard it referred to as a focuser (as opposed to a collimator?)

I'm not overly repulsed by using this apparatus as it's not overly expensive, but the laser + fiber coupling to drive the thing quickly approaches the $2000 range. That seems expensive when I'm only attempting to make a 13 micron dot.

Mike

1. What is a focused UV laser and how does it work?

A focused UV laser is a type of laser that emits ultraviolet (UV) light with a high degree of precision. It works by using a process called stimulated emission, where atoms are excited by an external energy source and emit light in a specific wavelength. In a focused UV laser, the light is focused through a lens to create a highly concentrated beam.

2. What are the practical applications of a focused UV laser?

Focused UV lasers have a wide range of practical applications, including lithography, micromachining, and microscopy. They are commonly used in the semiconductor industry for precision cutting and etching, as well as in medical and scientific research for imaging and analysis of biological samples.

3. What are the advantages of using a focused UV laser over other types of lasers?

One of the main advantages of a focused UV laser is its high precision. The wavelength of UV light is much smaller than visible light, allowing for more precise cutting and imaging. Additionally, focused UV lasers have a shorter pulse duration, which can be beneficial for certain applications such as laser surgery or microfabrication.

4. What factors should be considered when implementing a focused UV laser?

When implementing a focused UV laser, it is important to consider factors such as the laser's power and energy output, the quality of the beam, the stability and reliability of the laser, and the safety precautions needed for handling UV light. The specific requirements will depend on the intended use of the laser.

5. What are some common challenges in the practical implementation of focused UV lasers?

Some common challenges in implementing a focused UV laser include maintaining a stable and consistent beam quality, avoiding thermal damage to the material being processed, and ensuring the safety of operators working with UV light. It is also important to carefully calibrate the laser for the specific application and to regularly maintain and clean the equipment to ensure optimal performance.