Electric Field in Circuits/Conductors

In summary: Sure I guess. It just means that it is a time-static problem (no currents). Magnetostatics has static currents (currents that don't change with time) so wouldn't be the same thing as time-static.Well I'm still confused then. Before there is a current, everything is at rest. It is an electrostatic condition then, so there is no electric field. How then, all of a sudden, is there magically a field, and the conductor is no longer electrostatic? Do the charge carriers start moving before the electric field is produced, or something?In summary, an electric field is created in a conductor when a current is flowing through it.
SeannyBoi71
A little curiosity here. In my Electricity and Magnetism class, for the first half of the semester we were taught strictly: there can never be an electric field in a conductor. Alright, it makes sense the way it is explained, fair enough.

Now we come to circuits, and are told that there is an electric field in the conducting wires that creates current, generated by the electromotive force. My question is, why is there an electric field in these wires? I thought it wasn't possible?

Physics news on Phys.org
There cannot be an electric field in a conductor in electrostatic conditions. The reason is simple: if there were an electric field the free charges (which characterise a conductor) will drift in the direction of the force due to the field, so the conditions couldn't be electrostatic after all!

When there is a current, i.e. a drifting of free charges, there must be an electric field, or the charges would quickly lose their drift velocity, because of resistive forces due to collisions with the lattice.

Philip Wood said:
There cannot be an electric field in a conductor in electrostatic conditions. The reason is simple: if there were an electric field the free charges (which characterise a conductor) will drift in the direction of the force due to the field, so the conditions couldn't be electrostatic after all!

When there is a current, i.e. a drifting of free charges, there must be an electric field, or the charges would quickly lose their drift velocity, because of resistive forces due to collisions with the lattice.

I'm unfamiliar with the term "electrostatic conditions"... does this mean that charge carriers are at rest?

SeannyBoi71 said:
I'm unfamiliar with the term "electrostatic conditions"... does this mean that charge carriers are at rest?

Sure I guess. It just means that it is a time-static problem (no currents). Magnetostatics has static currents (currents that don't change with time) so wouldn't be the same thing as time-static.

Well I'm still confused then. Before there is a current, everything is at rest. It is an electrostatic condition then, so there is no electric field. How then, all of a sudden, is there magically a field, and the conductor is no longer electrostatic? Do the charge carriers start moving before the electric field is produced, or something?

Maybe I'm missing your point, but the free carriers start to drift when a field is applied, for example by connecting a battery across the conductor.

1. What is an electric field in a circuit/conductor?

An electric field is a region in which electrically charged particles experience a force. In a circuit or conductor, it is created by the flow of electric current.

2. How is the strength of an electric field in a circuit/conductor measured?

The strength of an electric field in a circuit/conductor is measured in volts per meter (V/m).

3. What factors affect the strength of an electric field in a circuit/conductor?

The strength of an electric field in a circuit/conductor is affected by the amount of charge present, the distance between the charges, and the material properties of the conductor.

4. How does an electric field impact the flow of current in a circuit?

An electric field can either aid or resist the flow of current in a circuit, depending on the direction and magnitude of the field. In a conductor, the electric field helps facilitate the flow of current by pushing the charged particles in the direction of the current.

5. How can the electric field in a circuit/conductor be manipulated?

The electric field in a circuit/conductor can be manipulated by changing the amount of charge or the distance between the charges. It can also be altered by using different materials with varying electrical properties.