Register to reply

Asymmetrical charged parallel plates capacitor

Share this thread:
abdo799
Aug8-14, 01:26 AM
P: 103
If i have a parallel plates capacitor , where the plates have different charges , eg, one plate has 1 C of charge and the other is neutral , what's the potential difference? what if i grounded the neutral plate , will it gain 1 C of charge?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
How did evolution optimize circadian clocks?
New webcast series brings cutting-edge physics talks to the world
High Flux Isotope Reactor named Nuclear Historic Landmark
Simon Bridge
Aug8-14, 01:49 AM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 13,041
What normally happens when a charged conductor is brought close to an uncharged conductor... and then you earth the uncharged conductor?
abdo799
Aug8-14, 10:19 AM
P: 103
Quote Quote by Simon Bridge View Post
What normally happens when a charged conductor is brought close to an uncharged conductor... and then you earth the uncharged conductor?
yea, just like charging by induction , but about the charge i use to find out the V using CV=Q , should i use the mean of the sum of the absolute values of both charges?

Simon Bridge
Aug8-14, 09:12 PM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 13,041
Asymmetrical charged parallel plates capacitor

There's a fairly decent description here:
http://physics.stackexchange.com/que...-on-each-plate

If you sketch out the situation - careful to draw the plates as having a thickness - you should see how to deal with it.
The "top" plate has a single row of +++++ across the lower surface, there's a gap, and the bottom plate has a row of ------- (minuses) along the top and ++++++ along the bottom. What does that look like to you?

If you ground the bottom plate, you get rid of the ++++ on the bottom.

Register to reply