Photon & Electromagnetism: Exploring the Link

In summary, electromagnetism is the branch of physics that studies the forces of electricity and magnetism. photons are involved in these forces and play a role in how they work.
2sin54
At first, I want to say that electromagnetism is my weakest physics branch so this question might sound silly.

Electromagnetism unified electricity with magnetism and the quanta of electromagnetic force is a photon. Is there any link between magnets and photons? Is there any link between electricity and photons? I mean do photons play any kind of a role in magnetism or electricity? I ask these questions because as far as I know, only electrons are responsible for these things.

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone?

Consider a radio transmitter fed antenna. Electron movement creates the magnetic field. Back and forth (or change) causes it to propagate outwards in waves. These are equivalent to photons (two ways to look at the same thing). People often think of light as photons. But radio waves are just a longer wavelength due to a lower frequency. They still have to be photons, too. You can do the double slit experiment at radio wavelengths, but the slits need to be larger and further apart. I'm still looking for the elegancy of this, and am convinced it is there, hiding from me.

Alright, so the magnetic field itself is made of photons. Thank you.

Gytax said:
Alright, so the magnetic field itself is made of photons. Thank you.

Hmm. The photon is the carrier of the EM force, but I don't know if it's correct to say the field is "made" of photons.

Drakkith said:
Hmm. The photon is the carrier of the EM force, but I don't know if it's correct to say the field is "made" of photons.

But the field has to contain something, hasn't it?

Not really. A photon is a "particle" but when you get down to the quantum level you cannot think of a particle as you would a piece of dust for example. To describe it correctly it had to be done in mathematical terms only. You cannot even locate a photon exactly. The lower energy it is the larger the area that it could "be" is. If you want to think of a photon as something you might try to imagine it as a traveling probability packet. You can calculate where the center of that probability packet is but the photon can "hit" objects outside of that center. And again, the lower the energy is, the wider the area is that it can hit. That is why a bridge which you can see through will block quite a bit of an AM radio signal. The big fat probability packets hit the steel girders and are absorbed. The higher energy FM signal has too small of a packet and most of them make it through. Light waves are higher energy yet and they will travel in what your eyes see as a straight line. The size of their probability packet would be very small.

This is rather laymanish and therefore wrong. But it might help you to understand the concept of a photon.

So is it right to say that the field contains photons and we need to treat photons in this field as waves?

waves, as the ones emitted from an antenna, are best described by what is called a coherent state. In it, the number of photons is not known exactly.

Gytax said:
So is it right to say that the field contains photons and we need to treat photons in this field as waves?

I think you should make a new post in the Quantum Physics forum. That would be the best place for what you are asking.

Gytax said:

No, only if that field is actually applying a force to something.
If a force is applied to something due to an E or M field, then there are photons involved (sometimes called "virtual" photons which is fudging a bit, IMO).
The measured force is explained as an example of conservation of momentum.

i.e. there's no "spooky action at a distance."

http://www.levitationfun.com/mfield.pdf

That link also asks whether a magnet slows down time.
It certainly does, anything with mass does due to gravity, which the article fails to point out, far outweighing any EM effects on time, except maybe for really exotic astronomical objects like pulsars, perhaps.

Whether gravity particles called gravitons really exist is yet to be proven one way or the other, but it seems reasonable to assume they probably do exist.

The particles involved with the weak forces are called "vector bosons."
The particles involved with the strong forces are called "gluons."

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/forces/funfor.html

And then there is the "dark energy" force ...

Last edited:

1. What is a photon?

A photon is a fundamental particle of light, which carries energy and behaves both as a particle and a wave.

2. What is electromagnetism?

Electromagnetism is a fundamental force of nature that describes the relationship between electricity and magnetism.

3. How are photons and electromagnetism related?

Photons are the particles that make up electromagnetic waves. They are the carriers of electromagnetic force, allowing for the interactions between electrically charged particles.

4. What are some real-world applications of photons and electromagnetism?

Photons and electromagnetism have numerous applications in our daily lives, including communication technologies, medical imaging, and energy production.

5. How does the study of photons and electromagnetism contribute to our understanding of the universe?

The study of photons and electromagnetism helps us understand the fundamental laws of nature and how they govern the behavior of matter and energy in the universe. It also allows us to develop technologies that improve our lives and expand our understanding of the universe.