Scale factors and the Jacobian Matrix

This allows for a quick method of converting between coordinate systems.In summary, the speaker is struggling with using coordinates other than cartesian ones and is wondering if there is a way to relate scale factors using the Jacobian or derivatives matrix. They also ask for advice on the quickest method for converting between coordinate systems. It is mentioned that the scale factor is the determinant of the Jacobian matrix, which allows for a quick conversion method.
Andromon
So here is my problem: I'm very bad when using coordinates others than cartesian ones, and I know taking Mechanics of Lagrange and Hamilton and I fin difficult to find the velocities expressions in curvilinear coordinates.

So here is my question: is there anyway to relate the scale factors (and everything else, from radius vector expression to operators expressoins) just using the Jacobian or derivates matrix? Like you can do in Thermodynamics

I have not seen it done in any book, but I cannot see why not. Also, if it can't be done, what will be a quickest method or passing from everything in one coordinate frame to another?

Thank you.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Andromon said:
So here is my question: is there anyway to relate the scale factors (and everything else, from radius vector expression to operators expressoins) just using the Jacobian or derivates matrix?
Yes. The scale factor is the determinant of the Jacobian matrix, the matrix with the first partial derivatives of the components in one coordinate system with respect to the components in the other coordinate system.

What is a scale factor?

A scale factor is a number that indicates how much a figure has been enlarged or reduced in size. It is usually represented by the variable k and can be applied to both linear and geometric figures.

How is a scale factor used in the context of the Jacobian matrix?

In the context of the Jacobian matrix, a scale factor is used to represent the change in size or scale of a vector or set of vectors. It is often used in the calculation of derivatives and transformations in multivariable calculus.

What is the relationship between scale factors and determinants?

The determinant of a matrix can be seen as a scale factor for the area or volume of the linear transformation represented by that matrix. This means that the determinant and scale factor are directly related and can be used interchangeably in certain situations.

Can scale factors be negative?

Yes, scale factors can be negative. In the context of the Jacobian matrix, a negative scale factor indicates a flip or reflection in the direction of the vector. This can be visualized by imagining a mirror image of the original figure.

What are some real-world applications of scale factors and the Jacobian matrix?

Scale factors and the Jacobian matrix have many applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They can be used to model and analyze changes in scale, velocity, and other physical quantities. They are also essential in optimization and control theory.