Cellular Respiration: Experiment, Findings & Practical Uses

• Thread starter eurkaryote
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about the speaker's upcoming paper on cellular respiration and their experiment using apples, KOH pellets, and a respirometer. They are unsure about the process and how to approach their paper, and are seeking additional information and guidance.
eurkaryote
I have a paper a lab discussion paper to write about Celluluar respiration. In the experiment an assortment of apples at very ages were used. The apples were put into a respirometer(sp) along with KOH pellets with a stopper that would later be injected by dye. What I don't understand is what is occurring in this process. Is the apple asorbing or giving off oxgen. What are the KOH pellets doing. I plan to write my discussion about how the fruit is losing energy as it respires thus making is uncoumable by people. In my paper I have to write about the pratical use of my findings in the experiment. I just want to make sure I am approaching the right subject. Could I also include factors like temperature as the limits of my experiment? Any addition information you might have I would appreciate.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome eurkaryote to PH (physicsforums)! If you haven't looked around yet, you will find a lot of interesting threads here and helpful, likeminded people. Your thread poses a fascinating topic. I wonder what level or grade is this for?

You may also want to review some of the stickies to help you when you post. A good one to start with is this https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=94384. It reminds you how to construct a thread. For example, showing your own work. In your example, explain your own understanding or analysis of your experiment and where you become confused.

I have never done your experiment but found the answers to your questions with proper researching on the web. Is there a special significance to the first r in your user name?

Last edited:
for your question. The experiment you described is a common method used to study cellular respiration in fruits and other organisms. In this process, the fruit undergoes aerobic respiration, where it uses oxygen to break down glucose and produce energy in the form of ATP. The KOH pellets in the respirometer serve to absorb any carbon dioxide produced by the fruit during respiration, allowing us to measure the rate of oxygen consumption by the fruit. The dye injected into the respirometer helps us visualize this process by showing the movement of gas within the system.

In terms of your question about the apple absorbing or giving off oxygen, the answer is that it is doing both. During the early stages of respiration, the fruit is consuming oxygen as it breaks down glucose. However, as the fruit ages and begins to spoil, it may also start to produce ethanol through anaerobic respiration, which would result in the release of oxygen.

Your plan to write about how the fruit is losing energy as it respires is a good approach. This is an important concept to understand, as cellular respiration is a vital process for all living organisms to produce energy. By studying the respiration rates of different fruits at different ages, we can gain insight into how efficiently they are able to produce energy and how this may affect their shelf life.

In terms of the practical uses of this experiment, there are several potential applications. For example, understanding the respiration rates of fruits can help in determining the best storage conditions to prolong their shelf life. It can also be used in the food industry to improve packaging and transportation methods for fruits and other perishable items. Additionally, studying cellular respiration in different organisms can provide valuable information for medical research, as it is a fundamental process in all living things.

Regarding your question about including factors like temperature as limits of your experiment, this is certainly relevant and can be included in your discussion. Temperature can greatly affect the rate of cellular respiration, as it can impact the enzymes involved in the process. By controlling and varying temperature in your experiment, you can gain a better understanding of its influence on respiration rates in the fruit.

I hope this additional information has been helpful. Good luck with your paper!

1. What is cellular respiration?

Cellular respiration is the process by which cells convert nutrients into energy in the form of ATP (adenosine triphosphate). It involves the breakdown of glucose and other molecules to release energy, which is used for various cellular functions.

2. How is cellular respiration studied in experiments?

In experiments, cellular respiration is studied by measuring the consumption of oxygen and production of carbon dioxide by cells. This can be done using a respirometer, which measures the changes in gas volume as cells undergo respiration.

3. What are the key findings of cellular respiration experiments?

The key findings of cellular respiration experiments include the fact that oxygen is a necessary component for the process to occur, and that the amount of ATP produced varies depending on the type of molecule being broken down. These experiments have also revealed the different stages of cellular respiration, such as glycolysis, the Krebs cycle, and oxidative phosphorylation.

4. What are the practical uses of understanding cellular respiration?

Understanding cellular respiration has many practical uses, including in the fields of medicine, agriculture, and energy production. By understanding how cells produce energy, we can develop treatments for diseases that affect cellular respiration, improve agricultural practices by optimizing nutrient intake for plants, and develop more efficient methods of energy production.

5. How does cellular respiration differ from photosynthesis?

While both cellular respiration and photosynthesis involve the conversion of energy, they are opposite processes. Photosynthesis uses light energy to convert carbon dioxide and water into glucose and oxygen, while cellular respiration uses glucose and oxygen to produce ATP and carbon dioxide. Additionally, photosynthesis occurs in plants and some microorganisms, while cellular respiration occurs in all living organisms.