What Are the Possible Values of r in This Viete Relations Problem?

• Thread starter ehrenfest
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relations
In summary, the problem is to find all real numbers r for which there exists a triple (x,y,z) of nonzero real numbers satisfying x^2 y + y^2 z + z^2 x = xy^2 + y^2 z + zx^2 = rxyz. This is equivalent to finding the possible values of r+s+t = 1/r + 1/s + 1/t, where r, s, t are real numbers. Using Viete's formulas, it can be shown that ab = (3+2r)c and a^3 = x^3 + y^3 + z^3 + (3+2r)c, but it is not clear how to find a condition on r
ehrenfest
[SOLVED] Viete relations problem

Homework Statement

Find all real numbers r for which there is at least one triple (x,y,z) of nonzero real numbers such that

[tex] x^2 y + yz^2 + z^2 x = xy^2 + yz^2 + zx^2 = rxyz[/tex]

Homework Equations

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viète's_formulas

The Attempt at a Solution

This is equivalent to finding the possible values of r+s+t = 1/r + 1/s + 1/t where r,s,t are real but I don't see how that leads to a solution.Fix r and assume that x,y,z exist. Let f(t) = t^3 + at^2 + bt+c be the monic polynomial with
x,y,z as its zeros. By assumption c is not zero. Its not hard to show that ab = (3+2r)c and a^3 = x^3+ y^3+z^3 + (3+2r)c using Viete's relations. But I am not sure what to do with those or how to get any sort of condition on r.

Please just provide a hint.

Physics news on Phys.org
Just to be sure, did you type out the equations correctly? Or is it supposed to be [itex]\sum x^2 y = rxyz[/itex] instead?

morphism said:
Just to be sure, did you type out the equations correctly? Or is it supposed to be [itex]\sum x^2 y = rxyz[/itex] instead?

I did mess up. Change yz^2 to y^2 z on the LHS. Anyway I already peeked at the solution.

FAQ: What Are the Possible Values of r in This Viete Relations Problem?

1. What are Viete relations?

Viete relations are a set of mathematical equations that describe the relationship between the roots and coefficients of a polynomial equation.

2. Who discovered Viete relations?

Viete relations were discovered by French mathematician François Viète in the 16th century.

3. What is the significance of Viete relations?

Viete relations are significant because they provide a way to find the roots of a polynomial equation without having to solve it directly. This can be useful in solving complex equations and has applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and finance.

4. How do you use Viete relations to find the roots of a polynomial equation?

To use Viete relations, you first need to know the coefficients of the polynomial equation. Then, you can use the equations to find the sums and products of the roots, which can be used to find the individual roots.

5. Are there any limitations to using Viete relations?

While Viete relations can be a useful tool in solving polynomial equations, they have limitations. They can only be used for equations with rational coefficients, and they may not always provide accurate or exact solutions.

Back