Is there an intrinsically safe combustible dust monitor for wood pellets?

In summary, the OP is looking for a monitor that can be used to monitor coal dust in a coal bunker. The specifications he was looking for were for a monitor that could monitor up to 50g/m^3, but he accidentally picked a monitor that was meant for combustible gas. The manufacturer he contacted was very interested in his project and said they might have something that would work.
Avis
I have been tasked with what seems an almost impossible feat. It sounds simple but for some reason it is not.

I am looking for a device that can monitor combustible dust, in this case wood dust from pellets. It must be able to handle concentrations of 50g/m^3. The area to be monitored is a coal bunker, roughly 80’ tall and 20’x50’.

And most important it must be intrinsically safe! This has been my biggest problem. I have found a handful of suitable monitors yet they are not intrinsically safe. Who designs a combustible dust monitor that could end up being the source of an explosion?!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
These guys might have something that would suit your needs:

http://www.omega.com/temperature/Z/pdf/z128-130.pdf

Travis_King said:
These guys might have something that would suit your needs:

http://www.omega.com/temperature/Z/pdf/z128-130.pdf

Unfortunatly they don't deal with dust monitors.

Would the old Davis lamp perhaps work for you?
It was admittedly used for combustible gas, rather than dust, but I would think that fine dust would be pretty equally diffused in a factory setting and would pass pretty reliably through the screen mesh of a Davis lamp.

If the coal dust is the only particulate matter in the air in that enclosure, maybe think about using a scanning laser beam and optical monitoring to figure out the density of dust in the air... Very intrinsically safe.

berkeman said:
If the coal dust is the only particulate matter in the air in that enclosure, maybe think about using a scanning laser beam and optical monitoring to figure out the density of dust in the air... Very intrinsically safe.

Yes it would work, But I can't find a product that exists.

Something like this? http://www.ducon.com/MIP%203188AZL.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes 1 person
etudiant said:

That monitor was looking ideal for the application, until I noticed in the specifications: "Maximum dust = 2g per cubic liter. The OP is asking to monitor up to 50g per cubic liter.

Bobbywhy said:
That monitor was looking ideal for the application, until I noticed in the specifications: "Maximum dust = 2g per cubic liter. The OP is asking to monitor up to 50g per cubic liter.

No, per cubic meter! That's 0.05 g/L.

OOPS! Sorry. Thanks for catching my mistake.

etudiant said:

Very Intresting. I will contact the manufacturer! Thanks!

1. What is a combustible dust monitor?

A combustible dust monitor is a scientific instrument used to measure the concentration of airborne dust particles that have the potential to ignite and cause a fire or explosion. It is typically used in industrial settings to monitor the level of combustible dust in the air to prevent accidents and ensure workplace safety.

2. How does a combustible dust monitor work?

A combustible dust monitor uses a variety of technologies such as infrared, optical, or electrochemical sensors to detect and measure the concentration of combustible particles in the air. The sensor sends a signal to the monitor, which then displays the readings in real-time. Some monitors also have alarms that can be set to go off when the dust levels reach a certain threshold.

3. What types of industries need a combustible dust monitor?

Industries that process or handle materials such as food, pharmaceuticals, chemicals, metals, and wood are most at risk for combustible dust hazards. These industries often have processes that generate fine particles of dust, which can become explosive when suspended in the air. Therefore, it is crucial for these industries to have a combustible dust monitor to ensure the safety of their workers and facilities.

4. How often should a combustible dust monitor be calibrated?

It is recommended to calibrate a combustible dust monitor at least once a year or whenever the instrument is moved or repaired. However, the frequency of calibration may vary depending on the specific monitor and its usage. It is essential to follow the manufacturer's instructions for calibration and maintenance to ensure accurate readings.

5. Are there any regulations or standards for combustible dust monitors?

Yes, there are regulations and standards set by organizations such as Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) and National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) that require industries to have a combustible dust monitoring system in place. These regulations also outline the proper use and maintenance of the monitors to ensure workplace safety.