What is the connectedness problem from Conway's Complex Analysis?

• Thread starter rudinreader
  • Start date
In summary: P is connected to the interior of Q, and the interior of Q is connected to the exterior of P.In summary, this problem is not solvable.
rudinreader
From Conway's Complex Analysis, page 17, 2.2.5:

Suppose [tex]F \subseteq X[/tex] is closed and connected. If a,b are in F and e > 0, then there exists [tex]a = z_0,z_1,...,z_n = b[/tex] such that [tex]d(z_{k-1},z_k) < e[/tex] for k in {1,...,n}.

I don't see the answer to this off the top of my head.. anyone else see it? Is this a special case of a more general idea?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It means that in a connected, closed region, you can get from point A to point B by taking arbitrarily small steps, within the region. In fact, it seems like you could even take this as the definition of "connected", as far as I can tell. It seems to be saying, "There is a continuous path in F from A to B".

But satisfying the property above doesn't imply connectedness. Here are some examples(and the last one is closed):
Q, the rationals
[tex][0,1) \cup (1,2][/tex]
[tex]\{(x,\frac{1}{|x|} ): x < 0\} \cup \{(x,\frac{1}{|x|} ): x > 0 \}[/tex]

True...the sequence being described isn't actually continuous. The connectedness property does imply, however, the existence of a sequence of arbitrarily-close points which begins at A and ends at B.

I thought this was interesting and decided to read a bit about connectedness, as topology isn't really my specialty. Apparently there is a distinction between connectedness and path-connectedness. Path-connectedness is what I described, which is not quite what your text describes, so I was wrong. There also exist, it seems, certain pathological cases which are connected but not path-connected.

The "sequence-connected" version you have should be true of all connected spaces, though. However, the converse is not true. I'm not sure what you're asking...were you trying to prove it?

OK I got it.

Ok here's a proof. It's not as hard as I thought. Fix e > 0, and a,b in X.
Let [tex]A = \{z \in X: there \ exists \ a = z_0, ..., z_n = z \ in \ X \ such \ that \ d(z_{k-1},z_k) < e \}[/tex].
We have a in A, so A is not empty. To prove b in A, it suffices to prove A is open and closed in X, hence A = X.
To do that, you suppose [tex]z \in A[/tex]. Then choose a sequence [tex]a = z_0,..., z_n = z[/tex] such that [tex]d(z_{k-1},z_k) < e[/tex]. Then for any y in [tex]B(e,z)[/tex], just set y = [tex]z_{n+1}[/tex]. That shows y in A, hence A is open in X.

To show A is closed, you choose a point z in X\A, and using a similar argument (of appending to the end a sequence), show that there is no sequence connecting a to any point of a neighborhood of z.

Last edited:
Yes, I was trying to prove it.. and in the proof I just threw away the F, and considered a connected metric space X. So that's more general. A connected closed subset F is of course a connected metric space.

I'm not sure what your proof is proving. We already know that a and b are in F; we're trying to prove that a sequence exists between a and b whose elements z_i are arbitrarily close together.

It seems to me that this should follow from the fact that F is connected. I don't see how F being closed figures into it at all...(and in fact, as your earlier examples showed, F doesn't even have to be connected for the sequence to exist).

What I did was fix e > 0, and defined a set A to be the z in X that has such an "e-path" to a. I showed b was in A (because A=X). Yes, I threw out the closed part. In the proof, I don't mention F, I just look at a connected metric space X.

Ben Niehoff said:
True...the sequence being described isn't actually continuous. The connectedness property does imply, however, the existence of a sequence of arbitrarily-close points which begins at A and ends at B.

I thought this was interesting and decided to read a bit about connectedness, as topology isn't really my specialty. Apparently there is a distinction between connectedness and path-connectedness. Path-connectedness is what I described, which is not quite what your text describes, so I was wrong. There also exist, it seems, certain pathological cases which are connected but not path-connected.

The "sequence-connected" version you have should be true of all connected spaces, though. However, the converse is not true. I'm not sure what you're asking...were you trying to prove it?

Any path-connected set is connected, any open connected set is path connected, any closed connected set is path connected.

Here's a puzzle I concocted several years ago: Find 2 sets P and Q, both contained in the closed square in R2 with vertices at (1,1), (-1,1), (-1,-1), and (1, -1) such that:
a) P contains (1,1) and (-1,-1) while Q contains (-1, 1) and (1, -1)
b) P and Q are both connected sets
c) P and Q are disjoint.

This can be done by defining P and Q as the graphs of two functions such that the graphs are connected but NOT path connected.

HallsofIvy said:
any closed connected set is path connected.
I assume that's a typo. Because the "closed topologists sine curve" is a closed connected set that is not path connected.

Your puzzle is interesting, but I don't see the trick in constructing the said P and Q. Any more hints without giving it away?

I wish it were a typo! I just plain mis-spoke. Thanks for the correction.

Make the middle part of each path a variation on y= sin(1/x) (is that the "topologists sine curve" you were referring to?). multiply by, say, 0.95 to keep it inside the square and add or subtract 0.03 to get them "miss" each other.

1. What is the connectedness problem?

The connectedness problem refers to the challenge of identifying and understanding the relationships and connections between various elements or entities within a system or network. It involves analyzing and mapping out the connections between these elements to gain a deeper understanding of how they interact and influence each other.

2. Why is the connectedness problem important?

The connectedness problem is important because understanding the connections between elements within a system or network can provide valuable insights and help predict how changes in one element may impact others. It is also crucial for problem-solving and decision-making in complex systems.

3. What are some common methods for studying the connectedness problem?

Some common methods for studying the connectedness problem include network analysis, graph theory, and systems thinking. These approaches involve visualizing and analyzing the connections between elements using various tools and techniques.

4. How does the connectedness problem relate to other scientific fields?

The connectedness problem is relevant in many scientific fields, including biology, ecology, social sciences, and computer science. In biology, for example, it is crucial for understanding food webs and the flow of energy and nutrients in an ecosystem. In computer science, it is essential for studying complex networks and developing algorithms for information retrieval.

5. What are some real-world applications of the connectedness problem?

The connectedness problem has numerous real-world applications, such as in supply chain management, social network analysis, and disease spread modeling. It is also used in fields like transportation planning, urban design, and organizational management to optimize and improve systems and processes.