Solve Trig Eqn: Find & Combine 2 Solutions for x

In summary, the conversation discusses a trigonometry equation and two possible expressions for the solutions. The first expression is correct and the second expression, when n is an odd integer, is equivalent to the first. The last equation provided is incorrect and the correct version is provided by the speaker. The conversation concludes by stating that both of these expressions are standard ways of writing the solutions.
primarygun
General solution for a trigonometry equation.
I solved this equation with several method and I found two possible expressions for the answers. They should be exactly the same. Please help me check for them or combine them together to give the one which is more common. Thanks for any ideas.
[itex] \cos x + \sin x=0 [/itex]
[itex]x=n\pi -\pi/4[/itex]
[itex]x=(n\pi)/2+\pi/4[/itex]

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Your first is correct.
Letting n be some integer, another way to write the solutions is:
[tex]x=\frac{2n+1}{2}\pi+\frac{\pi}{4}[/tex]
Your last equation is incorrect; set n=2.
This says that [tex]x=\frac{5\pi}{4}[/tex] is a root; but this is untrue, since it lies in the 3.quadrant where both the sine and cosine functions are negative.

Oh sorry, I missed to state that the n for the second expression is any odd integer. Really sorry.

primarygun said:
Oh sorry, I missed to state that the n for the second expression is any odd integer. Really sorry.
In that case, of course, your second equation is just the one I provided; both 1) and 2) are standard ways of writing the solutions

Thank you very much.

Related to Solve Trig Eqn: Find & Combine 2 Solutions for x

What is a trigonometric equation?

A trigonometric equation is an equation that involves trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, tangent, etc. It contains one or more unknown angles and the goal is to solve for those angles.

How do I solve a trigonometric equation?

To solve a trigonometric equation, you must use algebraic methods to manipulate the equation until you isolate the unknown angle(s). You can then use inverse trigonometric functions or trigonometric identities to solve for the angle(s).

What does it mean to find and combine two solutions for x?

When solving a trigonometric equation, there are usually multiple solutions for the unknown angle(s). Finding and combining two solutions for x means to find two different angles that satisfy the equation and then use them to form a single solution.

Why do I need to find and combine two solutions for x?

In some cases, a trigonometric equation may have infinite solutions. Finding and combining two solutions for x allows us to narrow down the number of solutions and find a specific range of values for the unknown angle(s).

What are some common strategies for solving trigonometric equations?

Some common strategies for solving trigonometric equations include using trigonometric identities, factoring, substitution, and graphing. It is also helpful to have a good understanding of the unit circle and trigonometric ratios.