Thermal: Entropy of Ideal Gas (Sackur-Tetrode equation)

In summary, the equation for entropy includes mass because it is a parameter in the thermal wavelength of the gas, which sets the scale for the gas to be considered classical. Additionally, the multiplicity, or number of accessible microstates, also involves mass as it is a factor in the characteristic spacing between average energy levels of the system. This is evident in systems such as a two-level system of spins or an ideal gas.
PsychonautQQ
okay so I suck at La-Tex so I'm not going to put the actual equation, but it's not important for my question.

In the equation the entropy is dependent on the natural log with mass in the numerator of the argument. Why is mass involved when talking about entropy at all?

I mean I think of entropy as being related to multiplicity of states or whatever, which is independent of mass? is rest mass energy being involved here?

Science news on Phys.org
The mass (which yes means the rest mass) is one of the parameters in the thermal wavelength of the gas that appears in the Sackur-Tetrode equation ##\lambda = (\frac{\beta \hbar^2}{2\pi m})^{1/2}## and it defines the characteristic length scale of the thermal system. In other words it sets the scale for which the gas can actually be considered classical i.e. for which the Sackur-Tetrode equation is actually valid. So in this sense it is almost self-evident that the mass should show up in the expression for the entropy.

Now as far as multiplicity goes, there is no reason to expect mass not to be a factor in the multiplicity. Recall the multiplicity is the number of accessible microstates of a system in between two infinitesimally separated average energy levels of the system and as such the multplicity will involve some characteristic spacing between average energy levels in the determination of this volume; this characteristic spacing will of course depend on various scales of the system. For a two-level system of spins with magnetic moment ##\mu## in an external uniform magnetic field ##B## we have ##\Omega \propto \frac{\delta E}{2\mu B}## where the proportionality is the number of microstates for a given average energy. This characteristic spacing clearly depends on properties of the system such as the applied magnetic field and the intrinsic magnetic moment of the spins. For an ideal gas it is the thermal wavelength that we are interested in and in particular for a classical ideal gas we must have the intermolecular spacings much larger than the thermal wavelength so this will definitely show up in the entropy.

1. What is the Sackur-Tetrode equation?

The Sackur-Tetrode equation is a mathematical expression that calculates the entropy of an ideal gas at a given temperature, volume, and number of particles. It takes into account the quantum nature of particles and is more accurate than the classical thermodynamic equation for calculating entropy.

2. How is the Sackur-Tetrode equation derived?

The Sackur-Tetrode equation is derived using statistical mechanics principles, specifically the Boltzmann distribution. It takes into account the distribution of energy levels of particles in an ideal gas and the number of microstates available for a given macrostate.

3. What are the assumptions made in the Sackur-Tetrode equation?

The Sackur-Tetrode equation assumes that the gas is ideal, meaning that particles do not interact with each other and there are no intermolecular forces. It also assumes that the particles are distinguishable and have discrete energy levels.

4. How does the Sackur-Tetrode equation relate to entropy?

The Sackur-Tetrode equation is a thermodynamic equation that calculates the entropy of an ideal gas. Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness of a system, and the Sackur-Tetrode equation takes into account the distribution of particles and their energies to calculate this quantity.

5. Can the Sackur-Tetrode equation be applied to real gases?

While the Sackur-Tetrode equation is derived for ideal gases, it can be used to approximate the entropy of real gases under certain conditions. It becomes more accurate at higher temperatures and lower pressures, when the ideal gas assumptions are more closely met. However, for more accurate calculations, other equations or models may be necessary.