Estimating Car Crash Force: Can We Determine Impact in LBS?

In summary, estimating the force of a car crash accurately is not a straightforward task. One way to do so is by assuming constant deceleration and calculating the deceleration based on the distance the car takes to stop. However, in reality, the deceleration is not uniform and varies based on several factors such as the speed, angle, and location of impact. Other variables, such as the mass and condition of the other vehicle, also play a significant role in determining the force. Additionally, the type of collision (e.g. head-on, rear-end) and the type of vehicle (e.g. sedan, truck) can also affect the force exerted. Ultimately, the force required to move a car is dependent on
vamp00
How would you accurately estimate the force of a car crash? Say, a 2,500lb vehicle has an impact with a wall @ 30mph.. How would you accurately estimate the force in LBS, Is it possible?

Physics news on Phys.org
The only easy way is by assuming constant decelration and calculating the deceleration based on how much the car got crushed - ie, the distance it took to stop.

What would it be if you took out the crumple variable?

Infinite...

infinite??Ok, let's drop the speed down to 5mph, and instant stop on a wall, vehicle no longer accelerating.

vamp00 said:
infinite??

Ok, let's drop the speed down to 5mph, and instant stop on a wall, vehicle no longer accelerating.

Infinite is infinite. It doesn't matter what speed you start from. Changing speeds instantly is impossible.

And in reality, the deceleration is not at all uniform. Some of the crash test databases online list the decelerations of various parts of a dummy's body for each car. I think that they test head-on crashes into a wall at 35 mph. Loads on various parts of the body are usually between 40-150 g for that type of collision.

I wasn't trying to get G's, I could probably find that info from accelerometer data from some crash test site... What I want to know is the force IN LBS, if that is possible. E.G: 2,500lb vehicle hits a 10,000lb vehicle, how fast would it have to be moving to move the 10,000lb vehicle? Is there no scientific way to "estimate" this? I am guessing there is a lot of variables that come into play, like if the other vehicle is in park, where it was hit, how many tires it has, etc...

vamp00 said:
I wasn't trying to get G's, I could probably find that info from accelerometer data from some crash test site... What I want to know is the force IN LBS, if that is possible. E.G: 2,500lb vehicle hits a 10,000lb vehicle, how fast would it have to be moving to move the 10,000lb vehicle? Is there no scientific way to "estimate" this? I am guessing there is a lot of variables that come into play, like if the other vehicle is in park, where it was hit, how many tires it has, etc...
If you know the accleration then you know the force through F = ma. Note that the entire car cannot stop all at once. The rear end of the car will not deaccelerate at the same rate as the front of the car.

Ask yourself this - Take a 1 ton steel square brick and slam it into a massive flat wall of steel. What do you think the force exerted on the steel object will be?

Force = time rate of change of momentum. To determine the force you must take the initial momentum and subtract the final momentum and divide that by the time it took for the momentum to make that change. You seem to have in your mind that this time is zero and the change in momentum is not zero. This is why Russ is telling you that the force is infinite.

Pete

vamp00 said:
If the stationary vehicle is in neutral, then it takes very little force - perhaps 100lb (people push cars all the time). If the stationary vehicle is in park, then you have to know how much the stationary car can rock back in forth without skidding and how much energy the bumper can absorb (by law, a 5mph collison with a stationary object, with no damage). Remember that ultimately the amount of force required to move a car, if that force is constant, is simply equal to (well, just above) the friction force at the tires.

For this type of problem, those variables make all the difference. I doubt the smaller car, in this case, would need to be going more than 10mph to move the bigger one.

1. How is the crash force of a car determined?

The crash force of a car is determined by calculating the acceleration of the vehicle during the impact. This can be done by measuring the change in velocity and dividing it by the time of impact. The result is the force of the crash, typically measured in pounds (lbs).

2. Can the crash force accurately determine the severity of a car crash?

Yes, the crash force is a reliable indicator of the severity of a car crash. A higher crash force indicates a more severe impact, which can lead to more significant damage to the vehicle and potential injuries to its occupants.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of estimating car crash force?

The accuracy of estimating car crash force can be affected by various factors, including the speed of the vehicles involved, the angle of impact, the weight and size of the vehicles, and any additional external factors such as road conditions or weather.

4. Is there a standard formula for calculating car crash force?

Yes, there is a standard formula for calculating car crash force, which is Force = Mass x Acceleration. However, this formula can be adjusted based on the specific conditions and variables of a particular crash to provide a more accurate estimate of the force.

5. How can estimating car crash force be beneficial in accident investigations?

Estimating car crash force can be beneficial in accident investigations as it can provide crucial information about the severity of the crash and help determine the cause of the accident. This information can also be used in legal proceedings, insurance claims, and efforts to improve vehicle safety and prevent future accidents.