Solve Algebra Inequality: $\frac 1{3x^2-x-2}<0$

In summary: You can check which binomial is positive or negative from the critical values for x. The critical values are -2/3 and 1. The binomials are (3x+2) and (x-1).In summary, the solution for \frac 1{3x^2-x-2}<0 is -2/3 < x < 1, with x not equal to -2/3 or 1.
Air
[tex]\frac 1{3x^2-x-2}<0[/tex]

I understand that in algebra inequalities, one side has to be made zero but in the equation shown above, I am unable to find the set of values that satisfies the equation.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
For what values of x is 1/x < 0 ?

one side needs to be "made zero" for a continuous function to change signs, This function isn’t continuous where it’s undefined: I suggest you factor the bottom and check the intermediate values

genneth said:
For what values of x is 1/x < 0 ?

Yes, that is what needs to be worked out. I know the answer but when I do the working it doesn't come to the answer so I want to know how to do working out.

The answer is -2/3 < x < 1.

Air said:
Yes, that is what needs to be worked out. I know the answer but when I do the working it doesn't come to the answer so I want to know how to do working out.

The answer is -2/3 < x < 1.

No -- I mean if I gave you the (in)equation 1/x < 0, what's the solution in terms of x? Then I was going to ask you to solve x^2 - 1 < 0, followed by (x-a)(x-b) < 0. Then hoping that you'd managed the rest...

Use the quadratic formula to factorize the denominator.

Air said:

I understand that in algebra inequalities, one side has to be made zero but in the equation shown above, I am unable to find the set of values that satisfies the equation.
The denominator factors to two binomials. In order for the original rational left side to be less than zero, exactly ONE of the binomials must equal zero but not both equal to zero.

The binomials for the denominator are (3x+2) and (x-1). Additionally, x must NOT equal -2/3, and x must NOT equal +1.

Critical points to use for boundary between solution ranges might be x at -2/3 and x at +1.

... in fact, the solution appears to be disjoint , but actually checking each section of the number line tells you something more specific.

Check a point less than -2/3;
Check a point more than -2/3 and less than +1;
check a point more than +1 (should not really be necessary).

The values of x between -2/3 and +1 exclusive should be the solution.

Air said:

[tex]\Rightarrow3x^2-x-2<0[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow(3x+2)(x-1)<0[/tex]

i think it's easy from here.

from murshid_islam
[tex]\Rightarrow(3x+2)(x-1)<0[/tex]

With that, you need just to look at two situations:
3x+2<0 AND x-1>0
OR (which you must check carefully to see whether conjoint or disjoint)
3x+1>0 AND x-1<0

Important is that one binomial must be positive and the other binomial must be negative.

What is an algebra inequality?

An algebra inequality is a mathematical statement that compares two expressions using symbols such as <, >, ≤, or ≥. It states that one expression is less than, greater than, less than or equal to, or greater than or equal to another expression.

How do you solve an algebra inequality?

To solve an algebra inequality, follow these steps:

1. Isolate the variable on one side of the inequality sign.
  2. Determine the values that make the expression equal to 0.
  3. Plot these values on a number line.
  4. Choose a test value from each resulting interval and plug it into the original inequality.
  5. If the test value makes the inequality true, then that interval is part of the solution.
  6. Continue testing values until all intervals have been checked.
  7. The solution will be the combination of all intervals where the inequality is true.

What does it mean for an algebra inequality to be less than 0?

An algebra inequality that is less than 0 means that the expression on the left side of the inequality sign is smaller than the expression on the right side. In other words, it represents a range of values that are negative.

Can you solve an algebra inequality with fractions?

Yes, you can solve an algebra inequality with fractions by following the same steps as solving an inequality with whole numbers. Just be sure to simplify any fractions in the expression before solving.

What is the solution to the algebra inequality $\frac 1{3x^2-x-2}<0$?

The solution to this algebra inequality is x < -1 or x > 2/3.