Calculating CO2 invassion/diffusion into water

• Thread starter jarvik
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Co2 Water
In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of calculating the diffusion rate of CO2 in an aquarium and its impact on plant growth. The individual is seeking advice on formulas or sources to determine the rate at which CO2 enters the system and diffuses through the water to the plants. They also discuss the use of stable isotopes in water labeling and the challenges of controlling convection in the aquarium. The expert advises against relying on diffusion in this scenario and suggests looking into research on oxygen diffusion in water as a starting point.
jarvik
Hi,

I trying to help someone with an aquarium Experiment. Anyways I'm trying to find sources on how to calculate how fast CO2 should diffuse through their still water surface in response to CO2 demand due to their plants. I have the aquarium dimensions, plant biomass produced over the time period in question but I'm having trouble tracking down appropriate physics info to work it out.

I'm expecting the plants to have been drawing down the CO2 to very low levels such that I think it was being used about as fast as it could enter the system. Any recomendations on formula or good sources to find the appropriate physics solution to calculate how fast/slow the CO2 would entering the system across a stagnant air/water boundary and then diffuse through the water to the plants about 15 cm away?

Thanks for any advice,

Cheers,

Johan

Physics news on Phys.org
Diffusion is an extremely slow process at distances greater than a few microns. In an aquarium you can forget about it. It is convection a currents induced by aerators which mix the water.

Hi,

My friend had no aerators or anything mixing the water. He was trying to look at stable Isotope lableing of water by aquatic cellulose with basic Idea that CO2/cellulose should take on the isotopic signature of the water due to 18O exchange between water and dissolved CO2 (which is supposed to be fast). However his results indicate more of an atmosphereic CO2 labeling was being incorparating than expected so I'm trying to work out if the plant CO2 uptake from the water was faster than 18O exchange between dissolved CO2 and water.

Cheers,

Johan

Even if there are not mixing devices, convection is almost impossible to stop. It would ask to maintain the temperature of the aquarium and the room at the same temperature, really the same or maybe at no more than 0.001°. Even when you enter a room, you change the temperature more than this.

I have not understood the " at stable Isotope lableing of water by aquatic cellulose".
In fact a read your explanations several times and still I do not see exactly the situation. You tried to be short, but it is too short for me. Please give a longer explanation. Anyhow, I insist, forget about diffusion. It is really inexistent at room temperature for distances bigger than a few microns (for solids and liquids, for gases in gases it works better).

You should have a look to this paper. It is about oxygen, but it could give you a starting point:
http://www.css.cornell.edu/compost/oxygen/oxygen.diff.water.html

Last edited by a moderator:

What is CO2 invasion/diffusion into water?

CO2 invasion/diffusion into water is the process by which carbon dioxide (CO2) molecules enter into and spread throughout a body of water. This can occur naturally through the exchange of gases between the atmosphere and water, or it can be caused by human activities such as combustion of fossil fuels and deforestation.

Why is it important to calculate CO2 invasion/diffusion into water?

Calculating CO2 invasion/diffusion into water is important because it helps us understand the impact of carbon dioxide on aquatic ecosystems. CO2 can lower the pH of water, making it more acidic, which can harm aquatic plants and animals. It also contributes to climate change and affects the overall health of our planet.

What factors affect the rate of CO2 invasion/diffusion into water?

Several factors can affect the rate of CO2 invasion/diffusion into water, including temperature, water turbulence, surface area, and gas concentration gradients. For example, warmer water and higher gas concentrations can increase the rate of CO2 invasion/diffusion, while increased turbulence can decrease it.

How is CO2 invasion/diffusion into water calculated?

The rate of CO2 invasion/diffusion into water can be calculated using the Fick's Law of diffusion, which takes into account factors such as the surface area of the water, the concentration gradient of CO2, and the diffusion coefficient of CO2 in water. This calculation can be complex and may require specialized equipment and data.

What are the potential impacts of high levels of CO2 invasion/diffusion into water?

High levels of CO2 invasion/diffusion into water can have several negative impacts on aquatic ecosystems, including acidification of the water, which can harm plants and animals, as well as changes in the pH levels of the water, which can disrupt the balance of nutrients and affect the health of aquatic organisms. Additionally, high levels of CO2 in water can contribute to climate change, which has far-reaching effects on the environment and human societies.