Why Does the Acceleration Formula Work?

In summary, the acceleration formula is a way to mathematically represent the rate of change of an object's velocity, which is the rate of change of its position. By understanding the basic definitions and principles behind the formula, one can better understand and derive it instead of simply memorizing it.
staetualex
Hy folks! I am new in here.Anyone can give a basic intuition about why the acceleration formula actually works? I mean, my brain is not capable to "nerd-ize" formulas, i either forgot them , i either on a test write the coulomb formula something like (q1 q2 r^2)/2pi eps0. I am shure if i remember now the (d^2 x)/(dt^2) in a couple of months it will be something like dx^2/dv or whatsoever . Is anyone who can describe this formula, how it holds in a real example, some associations with other processes, etc. what every number/letter in that formula represent? I mean change in time square, what :confused:? thanks and have a good day!

Physics news on Phys.org
It's a matter of learning to translate from math to English (and back).

x is position, t is time.

[tex]v={{dx}\over{dt}}[/tex] or "velocity is the rate of change of the position"

[tex]a={{dv}\over{dt}}[/tex] or "acceleration is the rate of change of the velocity"

Now that we're done defining terms, let's look at what that means:

Since v is the first derivative of x, and a is the first derivative of v, then a can be written as a second derivative of x.
Since both first derivatives are taken with respect to t,

[tex]a={{dv}\over{dt}}={{d^{2}x}\over{dt^{2}}}[/tex]

I don't think I can stress enough just how much it helps to understand the math--I took a course once where I had to memorize 37 equations for the first test alone. Needless to say, it didn't go well. But on a second attempt at the course, with a better understanding of the math involved, I only had to memorize four or five equations and could derive all of the others in about a minute total.

Last edited:
hi, staetualex, take a little time on chain rules.
It's not dx^2/dv; it's vdv/dx.

staetualex said:
my brain is not capable to "nerd-ize" formulas

I can't help you, but I thank you for adding a cool new word to my vocabulary. :rofl:

First, look at the simplest possible case (constant acceleration).

If a is constant, then the solution for velocity looks like v=at+k.

When t=0, we know that at=0. This is pretty obvious so far, but it does tell us that k is the velocity at that time. Since it's the initial velocity of the object, I'll change the name of that variable to something that let's me remember what it represents.

[tex]v=at+v_{i}[/tex]

Now if we go back to the definition of velocity, we have [tex]{{dx}\over{dt}}=at+v_{i}[/tex]. We integrate again to solve for position, and get the following:

[tex]x={{{at^{2}}\over{2}}+v_{i}t+k[/tex]

Again we note the first two terms are zero, when t=0, so this time k must be equal to the initial position. So once again, we rename that variable to something easier to remember.

[tex]x={{{at^{2}}\over{2}}+v_{i}t+x_{i}[/tex]

Last edited:
kyiydnlm said:
hi, staetualex, take a little time on chain rules.
It's not dx^2/dv; it's vdv/dx.

well, i know, i was just predicting my future, in case i mechanically learn the formulas, not knowing the principle it works. I may forgot them, or scramble the terms involved. Others who gave a reply on post, thank you, you helped me to understand better the schrodinger equation proof.

Phase shifter, you are great, now I'm not dependent of the formula anymore, i can derive it by myself.

to danger, i am glad i can help , sometimes i can invent new words .

What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over time. It measures how quickly an object's speed is changing.

What are the units of acceleration?

The units of acceleration are typically expressed as meters per second squared (m/s²) in the metric system or feet per second squared (ft/s²) in the imperial system.

How is acceleration calculated?

Acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. The formula for acceleration is a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

What is the difference between acceleration and velocity?

Velocity is a measure of an object's speed and direction, while acceleration is a measure of how an object's velocity changes over time. In other words, velocity is the rate of change of displacement, while acceleration is the rate of change of velocity.

What are some real-world examples of acceleration?

Some real-world examples of acceleration include a car speeding up or slowing down, a roller coaster going over a loop, a person jumping off a diving board, or a ball being thrown into the air.