Identification Space: Is A Cone?

In summary, the conversation discusses constructing a homeomorphism between a closed disk A and a baseless cone C, or a child's birthday party hat. The proposed homeomorphism involves projecting C onto a unit disk D, using circles to construct a map from I x I to D^2. However, there is confusion about the specifics of the homeomorphism and its relation to C and D^2.
Mikemaths
Is this a cone after Identifaction?

Let A = (I × I)/J
where J = (I × {1}) ∪ ({0; 1} × I) ⊂ I × I

Physics news on Phys.org
It's a closed disk. But if by "cone" you mean baseless cone (i.e. a child's birthday party hat : http://www.utterwonder.com/archives/images/happy_birthday_party_hat-thumb.jpg ), then one can also say that A is a cone, since the two are homeomorphic.

Last edited by a moderator:
how would you construct that homeomorphism

Take C the cone with base a unit circle in the xy plane and vertex at say (0,0,1). Let also D be the unit disk centered at (0,0,0). Then the projection down on the xy-plane C-->D²:(x,y,z)-->(x,y,0) is the desired homeomorphism.

Could I do it using the circles
Ct = {(x; y) ∈ D2 | (x − t)2 + y2 = (1 − t)2} (t ∈ I)
to construct a homeomorphism f : A → D2

What do you mean?

Also, for "x quared", put x^2 instead of x2 please.

Sorry about that I constructed it as follows is this ok?

A -> D^2

(s,t) in I x I -> (cos(2pi(1-t)s),sin(2pi(1-t)s)) in D^2

This is a map from I x I to D^2. I thought you were trying to construct a homeomorphism between C and D^2. I don't see the link.

I was trying to create a homeomorphism between the identified I x I and D^2 such that Ct is satisfied.

1. What is identification space?

Identification space is a concept in mathematics and physics that refers to the set of all possible solutions or states of a system. In other words, it is the space in which objects or events can be identified and distinguished from one another.

2. How is identification space related to cones?

Identification space and cones are related in the sense that the shape and properties of a cone can be used to define and represent points in the identification space. This is because a cone has a unique cross-section at every point along its axis, making it a useful tool for identifying and differentiating between points in a space.

3. What is the significance of studying identification space?

The study of identification space is important in a variety of fields, including mathematics, physics, and computer science. It allows us to understand and analyze complex systems and their behaviors, and can be used to solve problems and make predictions about the future behavior of a system.

4. How is a cone used to represent points in identification space?

A cone can be used as a geometric tool to represent points in identification space by using its shape and properties to define a unique coordinate system. This allows us to assign coordinates to points in the identification space and accurately identify and compare different points or solutions within the space.

5. Can identification space be visualized?

Yes, identification space can be visualized using various methods such as drawings, diagrams, and computer simulations. These visualizations can help us better understand the relationships between different points or solutions within the space and make it easier to analyze and interpret data related to the system being studied.