How to fill out a job application

In summary, the employer asks about job history. Two questions are included which I have not come across before other than in an interview and I don't know how I should go about answering them. They are: What did you like most about this job? and What did you like least about this job?
Aero51
On one application the employer asks about job history. Two questions are included which I have not come across before other than in an interview and I don't know how I should go about answering them. They are:

What did you like most about this job?
and
What did you like least about this job?

My natural inclination would be to just answer the question directly and honestly, however I know the latter question may be a bureaucratic trap. I feel that either leing or just leaving the second question blank is smarter than answering the question honestly. Sad. Not that anything I hated about my jobs were particularly bad (Filing papers, getting filthy doing manual labor, etc), I'm just afraid it may be a question that sets you up to fail.

Physics news on Phys.org
You could just say something like "The every-day logistics that don't directly relate to my job (mention a couple). But I know that it's important to get them done, so that I can focus on the main parts of my work."

Or similar. That would not be lying, and I don't think any employer would find it bad. They probably feel the same way.

I agree that some folks will give answers that will not sit well with the employer. Like, "Oh, I hate it how office politics always seem to be getting in the way..." :rolleyes:

See, for one job when I was an intern I was just going to say 'paperwork' and the other, which required a lot of manual labor, would have been 'getting filthy during work' (one point in time I was completely covered in red paint dust when I was wire brushing the back of a dump truck).

In a way this kind of reminds me of the useless Personality tests that some employers make you take. I can't tell if they want you to answer 'correctly' or just blatantly lie.

You didn't like my approach? If you just say "paperwork", that could cover a lot of things. If you use some of the keywords I used, that helps to indicate that there are no underlying issues with you and your attitude toward work. What if the paperwork you didn't like was a core part of your potential new work?

And I guess on the manual labor job, you could say that one of the reasons that you are working so hard in school now is so that you can move from your initial manual labor job to more technical and fulfilling work.

What kind of jobs are you applying for now?

Oh I did like your approach, it will work great. The problem is me, I'm very direct - which isn't great when applying for jobs.

I am applying for [entry level] engineering jobs preferably related to the aerospace sector

1. What information do I need to provide when filling out a job application?

When filling out a job application, you will typically need to provide personal information such as your full name, contact information, and social security number. You may also be asked to provide your previous work experience, education, and any relevant skills or qualifications.

2. Should I include all of my previous work experience on a job application?

It is generally recommended to include all of your previous work experience on a job application, even if it may not seem relevant to the position you are applying for. Employers often look for a well-rounded background and may be interested in skills you have gained in previous roles.

3. Do I need to provide references on a job application?

While it is not always necessary to provide references on a job application, it is a good idea to have a list of references prepared in case the employer requests them. Make sure to have permission from your references before providing their contact information.

4. Can I leave sections blank on a job application if they do not apply to me?

It is generally not recommended to leave sections blank on a job application. If a section does not apply to you, you can write "N/A" (not applicable) or "None" to indicate that there is no information to provide in that section.

5. Is it okay to submit a handwritten job application?

It is not recommended to submit a handwritten job application, unless specifically requested by the employer. Handwritten applications can be difficult to read and may not present a professional image. It is best to type or use an online application when possible.