What Are Some Alternative Ways to Define Momentum?

In summary, the conversation is about defining momentum and whether there are better or more descriptive definitions than Newton's "quantity of motion." The speaker asks if the concept is related to something else, such as the product of mass and velocity, and if they have looked at different definitions online. Another person suggests a more complex definition, but the speaker notes that it may be above their current level of study. The conversation then shifts to the context of the question and the possibility that the speaker is being tested on their understanding of momentum rather than just reciting a standard definition.
kasap
I know Newton described it as 'the quantity of motion' but are there any other more descriptive or better definitions?
Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
In what way "better" or "more descriptive" ... it is the amount of motion something has.
After that you have to say how it is related to something else (product of mass and velocity) - or justify the terminology like: why is "speed" not the amount of motion?

Have you canvassed the different definitions online?

Thanks very much for your reply, in my Physics lesson I was told by my tutor not to use "quantity of motion" as a definition for momentum and I don't really see why, yes I've come across a few such as "mass in motion" and "the impetus of a body resulting from its motion" and wondered what was the most suitable, or whether they are all equally suitable. Thanks

How about "the conserved quantity which is associated with the invariance of the laws of physics under spatial translations?" :tongue2:

(which may or may not be above the level that you're studying at... whatever level that is... :wink:)

Hi jtbell, thank you for your reply but that looks way above the level that I'm studying at, I'm studying second year of A level, which is like the year before you can start your undergraduate degree in England.

What is the context of the question?

Could it be that they want to see how you understand momentum rather than just regurgitate a standard definition? In which case - what do you think momentum is? In your own words.

1. What is the definition of momentum?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion and is calculated by multiplying its mass and velocity.

2. How does momentum differ from velocity?

Velocity refers to the speed and direction of an object's motion, while momentum takes into account the object's mass as well.

3. What are the units of momentum?

Momentum is measured in kilogram-meters per second (kg*m/s).

4. Can momentum be negative?

Yes, momentum can be negative if the object is moving in the opposite direction of its velocity.

5. How is momentum conserved in a closed system?

In a closed system, the total momentum before and after a collision between objects remains constant. This is known as the law of conservation of momentum.