Heating up an Ice Cube - Is it Possible?

In summary, the conversation discusses a video of an ice cube burning with a red hot flame, which the participants initially assumed was fake. However, they later discuss how induction can heat and melt ice, but it cannot cause it to catch fire. The conversation also mentions that the video may be misleading and that the participants had to do additional research to find the truth behind it.
leroyjenkens
I saw this video a long time ago and just assumed it was fake, but I just saw it again and honestly don't know how this is possible. Wouldn't the ice cube just instantly melt?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLwaPP9cxT4

Science news on Phys.org
If you someday see an ice cube that is burning with a red hot flame , then call every major news channel out there , they will fight till death over who gets to cover these news first... :D:D

But in the meantime , yes induction can heat (melt) ice as it can boil water as every other element that is a conductor atleast a little bit.
Changing electromagnetic fields cause eddy currents that heat metals like the core of a transformer etc.
But ice doesn't catch fire just because it's melting that for sure.
It's one of those ( let's get a million views) youtube videos. Entertainment nothing more and nothing less , and science for the crackpots :DOh and by the way , someone hasn't done his homework...

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=474069

Ok so I was right that it's fake. At least not as described by the title of the video.

Oh and by the way , someone hasn't done his homework...

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=474069
I searched "hot ice" and a couple of other key words and couldn't find it. So yes, I did my homework, I guess I just suck at predicting what people will title a thread.

Well I am lazy too so I googled the video title and guess what I found ... :D:D:D

Sometimes you don't have to look far to see the necessary results.

I can assure you that it is indeed possible to heat up an ice cube without it instantly melting. This phenomenon is known as the Mpemba effect and has been observed and studied by scientists for many years.

The Mpemba effect occurs when hot water freezes faster than cold water. This may seem counterintuitive, but it can be explained by the complex interactions between different physical properties of water, such as density, viscosity, and evaporation.

When hot water is placed in the freezer, it initially cools down faster than cold water due to its higher temperature. However, as the water cools down, it undergoes a process called convection, where the warmer water rises to the top and is replaced by colder water from the bottom. This creates a constant flow of water within the container, allowing the hot water to cool down more quickly and eventually reach the freezing point faster than the cold water.

Another factor that contributes to the Mpemba effect is the evaporation of water. Hot water has a higher rate of evaporation than cold water, which means that it loses more water molecules to the air. This loss of water molecules results in a decrease in the volume of the hot water, making it more concentrated and thus freezing faster.

In conclusion, while it may seem counterintuitive, it is indeed possible to heat up an ice cube without it instantly melting. The Mpemba effect is a well-documented phenomenon that can be explained by the complex interactions between physical properties of water.

Related to Heating up an Ice Cube - Is it Possible?

1. Can an ice cube be heated up?

Yes, it is possible to heat up an ice cube. When heat is applied to an ice cube, the molecules within the ice gain energy and begin to move faster, causing the ice to melt and turn into liquid water.

2. How does heating an ice cube affect its temperature?

Heating an ice cube causes its temperature to increase. This is because the heat energy is transferred to the molecules within the ice, causing them to move faster and increase their kinetic energy, which in turn raises the temperature of the ice.

3. What happens when an ice cube is heated up?

When an ice cube is heated up, it undergoes a phase change from solid to liquid. The heat energy breaks the bonds between the molecules in the ice, causing it to melt and turn into liquid water.

4. Can an ice cube be heated up without melting?

No, an ice cube cannot be heated up without melting. The phase change from solid to liquid is a result of the heat energy breaking the bonds between the molecules, so heating the ice cube will always cause it to melt.

5. Is it possible to heat up an ice cube to a specific temperature?

Yes, it is possible to heat up an ice cube to a specific temperature. This can be achieved by controlling the amount of heat energy applied to the ice cube and monitoring its temperature until it reaches the desired level.