Salters Hornes CWK Young Modulus of a scooby

As for evaluating your method, you can discuss the strengths and weaknesses of your experimental setup and suggest improvements for future experiments. Some websites that may provide helpful guides or tips for your coursework include The Student Room and Science Buddies. In summary, for your experiment investigating the Young's modulus of a scooby, you used the pulley clamped to the bench method and attached weights. To calculate error bars for stress, you need to determine the uncertainty in force and area and then use the formulas Stress = Force/Area and Error Bar = Uncertainty in Stress/Stress. To determine if your sample obeyed Hooke's law, you can compare your results with a graph of predicted values. Morbo suggested using a strain gauge for more accurate measurements, and
thermoluminesce
My cwk is investigating the youngs modulus of a scooby. A scooby is a hollow plastic string like thing. My experiment used the pulley clamped to the bench method and attaching weights.

I have my results and have worked out the change in area for each load and have a graph of stesslog10 vs strain.

I'm a bit lost as to what to do next though (I've lost my cwk guide thing). I'm a bit stuck on what error bars i should do, i thought I could have made an error of 0.005m on measuring the extension and so on the x-axis of my graph an error bar of +-0.005. But what for stress?

What do i need to conclude? How do I tell if my sample obeyed hookes law?

And then do i evaluate my method? I read in http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=86576" Morbo's suggestion for a more accurate experiment, but I don't quite understand the reasoning for it (something about temperature change) or how exactly its done.

If anyone knows of any websites with cwk guides or tips or anything that would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
in advance :)Error bars are used to indicate the amount of uncertainty around a given measurement. To calculate the error bars for stress, you need to calculate the uncertainty in the measurements of force and area. The uncertainty in the force can be calculated by looking at the uncertainty in the weights used. For example, if the weights are given to the nearest gram, then the uncertainty in the force would be 0.001 Newton. The uncertainty in the area can be calculated by looking at the uncertainty in the measurements of the length of the scooby. If the measurement is taken to the nearest millimeter, then the uncertainty in the area would be 0.01 square meter. Once you have these uncertainties, you can then calculate the uncertainty in the stress using the formula Stress = Force/Area. The error bar for the stress would then be calculated using the formula Error Bar = Uncertainty in Stress/Stress. To determine if the sample obeyed Hooke's law, you need to compare the graph of stress vs strain with a graph of the predicted values according to Hooke's law. If the results match closely, then the sample obeyed Hooke's law.The suggestion Morbo made was to use a strain gauge to measure the strain more accurately. This is because a strain gauge is more sensitive to temperature changes than a ruler, which would be less accurate when measuring the strain. The strain gauge works by measuring the electrical resistance of a wire when it is stretched, so the strain can be calculated from the change in resistance.

FAQ: Salters Hornes CWK Young Modulus of a scooby

1. What is Salters Hornes CWK Young Modulus of a scooby?

Salters Hornes CWK Young Modulus is a measurement of the stiffness or elasticity of a scooby, which is a type of material.

2. How is the Young Modulus of a scooby determined?

The Young Modulus of a scooby is determined by dividing the stress applied to the scooby by the strain it experiences. This can be done through various experiments and calculations.

3. What is the significance of knowing the Young Modulus of a scooby?

Knowing the Young Modulus of a scooby can help scientists and engineers understand the behavior and strength of the material. It is also important in designing and building structures that use scooby as a component.

4. Can the Young Modulus of a scooby change?

Yes, the Young Modulus of a scooby can change depending on factors such as temperature, humidity, and the amount of stress applied. It may also vary depending on the direction of the applied force.

5. How does the Young Modulus of a scooby compare to other materials?

The Young Modulus of a scooby can vary depending on the type of scooby and its composition, but in general, it is known to be a relatively flexible and elastic material compared to other materials such as metals or ceramics.