Geometry Problem: Uniquely Solving for a and b | Elementary Geometry Figure

• Thread starter cepheid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Geometry
In summary, the conversation discusses an elementary geometry problem involving a diagram with angles a and b. The problem asks whether a > b, a < b, a = b, or there is not enough information to make a determination. The solution proposed by the GRE people involves exaggerating the differences between angles to arrive at the conclusion that a > b. However, the conversation also mentions that if the figure is supposed to be a rectangle, then all of the triangles are isosceles and 2a+89=180 and 2b+91=180, leading to a > b.
cepheid
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi,

This is not really a problem for the template (it is not even homework). I have come across the elementary geometry problem shown in the figure below.

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/95/geometryproblemvc9.th.png

I am wondering whether there is some way to solve for a and b uniquely. Although I was able to come up with an expression for every single angle in the diagram in terms of a or b, the only constraint I have found so far is the obvious one: a + b = 90 degrees. That alone leads to infinitely many solutions. Wondering whether there was another constraint I had missed, I tried an arbitrary solution a = 40, b = 50, and it works. It seems more likely that any thing in the solution set to a + b = 90 is fine, rather than me having stumbled upon the only unique solution there is.

The problem as stated does not ask for the values of a and b, it asks only whether:

a > b
a < b
a = b
OR
there is not enough info to make a determination

(yes this is one of those stupid GRE "quantitative comparision" questions)

The solution proposed by the GRE people is to exaggerate the difference between the 91 degrees and the 89 degrees by drawing the former angle larger, requiring that the nearly-square rectangle be redrawn as a rectangle much wider than it is tall. Once this has been done, it becomes "clear" that a > b.

I am wondering whether there is a less crude way of arriving at this conclusion (one that makes use of geometric principles)

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Am I confused? If the figure is supposed to be a rectangle, then all of the triangles are isosceles. So 2a+89=180 and 2b+91=180. a>b. Am I missing something that is making this hard?

We don't know that the angles at the corners are right angles.

If its an arbitrary quadrilateral then a>b is not necessarily true. Start drawing non-rectangular cases.

Oh...yeah.

Dick said:
Am I confused? If the figure is supposed to be a rectangle, then all of the triangles are isosceles. So 2a+89=180 and 2b+91=180. a>b. Am I missing something that is making this hard?

No, I don't think you are missing anything. It was supposed to be a rectangle, so that's the answer. Thanks. :redface:

What is a geometry problem?

A geometry problem is a mathematical question that involves spatial relationships and properties of shapes. It usually requires the use of geometric principles and formulas to solve.

What are the different types of geometry problems?

There are several types of geometry problems, including problems involving angles, triangles, circles, polygons, and three-dimensional shapes. Some problems may also involve geometric constructions or proofs.

How can I approach solving a geometry problem?

When solving a geometry problem, it is important to carefully read and understand the given information and identify what is being asked. Then, you can use your knowledge of geometric principles and formulas to find a solution. It may also be helpful to draw a diagram or use manipulatives to visualize the problem.

What are some common strategies for solving geometry problems?

Some common strategies for solving geometry problems include using the Pythagorean theorem, identifying similar or congruent shapes, applying the properties of angles or sides of a shape, and using algebraic equations to represent relationships between geometric figures.

How can I improve my skills in solving geometry problems?

Practice is key to improving your skills in solving geometry problems. You can also review and understand the basic principles and formulas of geometry, and try to apply them in different types of problems. Seeking help from a tutor or utilizing online resources can also be beneficial.