Various questions about mouse trap cars

• Thread starter harrypotter99
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cars
In summary, mouse trap cars are small vehicles powered by a spring-loaded mouse trap. They are often used for science projects or competitions and require careful construction and design to achieve maximum speed and distance. Some common questions about mouse trap cars include how to properly set up the trap, what materials to use for the body and wheels, and how to calculate the ideal length of the lever arm. Additionally, there are various strategies for optimizing the performance of a mouse trap car, such as reducing friction and balancing the weight distribution. Overall, building and testing a mouse trap car can be a fun and educational experience for students and enthusiasts alike.
harrypotter99
Hi,

For a mouse trap car that is traveling about 10ft in the least amount of time, is it advisable to use wheels with a large diameter?

Basically, I am asking that given two wheels with THE SAME MASS, will the larger wheel always be faster in the same system? I've been thinking and I cannot figure out whether or not a larger wheel will be slower... The larger wheel should give more distance per cycle of the axle... is that all there is to it?

Thanks a lot.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Keep in mind a larger wheel will have a larger moment of inertia, making it "heavier" when accelerating. But, at the same time, a larger wheel will also have a lower rolling resistance.

I would keep the size of the wheels on the large side, but not huge (best way to go would be a large spoked wheel, for light weight and large diameter).

While a large wheel will give you higher speeds you will also need decent acceleration to get up to speed quickly. As you increase the diameter of your wheels your torque decreases and you may not have enough acceleration to reach max speed fast enough.

There always are trade offs and dealing with those trade offs to obtain the optimum results is what makes these contests interesting. Can you model wheel diameter versus acceleration and max speed to determine which wheel diameter will cover the distance in the least time?

Having both read and participated in several threads of this nature, I believe that I've finally come up with the perfect solution.
I would strike a plea-bargain with the mouse, under which it would tow the vehicle to the required distance in return for its life.

The wheel is your transmission. You must have the diameter as small as needed to take advantage of the maximum friction force from your wheel. Going smaller would result in wheel spin, hence losses. Since time is your objective, your entire car design should be to maximize the use of the maximum friction force. Within reasonable limit, the friction coefficient of your wheel is far more important than its mass.

Everything you need to know to maximize your design can be found on http://hpwizard.com/car-performance.html" .

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How does a mouse trap car work?

A mouse trap car works by utilizing the potential energy stored in a mouse trap's spring. When the trap is released, the spring snaps back and propels the car forward.

2. What materials are needed to build a mouse trap car?

The most common materials needed to build a mouse trap car are a mouse trap, wheels, an axle, and a base. Other materials such as cardboard, wooden dowels, and string may also be used for added support or decoration.

3. How can I make my mouse trap car go faster?

To make a mouse trap car go faster, you can try using lighter materials, reducing friction by using smooth wheels, or increasing the length of the lever arm on the mouse trap. You can also experiment with different designs and adjustments to find the most efficient setup.

4. What are some common problems with mouse trap cars?

Some common problems with mouse trap cars include the car not moving, the car moving in the wrong direction, or the car not moving very far. These issues can be caused by various factors such as incorrect weight distribution, too much friction, or a weak spring. Troubleshooting and making adjustments can help solve these problems.

5. Can I use different types of mouse traps for a mouse trap car?

Yes, you can use different types of mouse traps for a mouse trap car. However, it is important to keep in mind that different traps may have different levels of tension and may require adjustments to the design of the car. It is recommended to test different traps and find one that works best for your specific design and goals.