Computer vs. Electrical engineering

In summary, the person is seeking advice on whether to pursue a degree in computer engineering or electrical engineering. They have been dual majoring in both but will need to choose one due to transferring to a new university. They are curious about job prospects and whether having a dual degree is beneficial. The person giving advice recommends considering what type of work they enjoy and pursuing a masters if they want to go into design. They also mention that a high GPA is important for job opportunities.
maxsthekat
Hi all,

I have a big decision to make, and I'm looking for advice from those in the fields. I'm trying to decide whether to be a computer or an electrical engineer. For the moment, I have been dual majoring in both, but due to family reasons, I will be transferring to a new university in the fall semester. Were I to dual major there, it would tack on an extra year to an already overly-long degree plan.

So, I need to choose one, and I'm curious: what do you guys think of computer vs. electrical engineering? If you're a computer engineer, have you ever lost opportunities because the job description calls for an electrical engineer? (And, the same question conversely for you EE's out there for computer engineering jobs.)

What do the job prospects look like for either field? I currently have around a 3.8 (which will be lost in the transfer), and I used to have a TS/SCI clearance while I was in the military (expired in '09)... I'm leaning towards computer engineering, but I'm concerned I won't be able to find a job with it after graduation.

Thanks, in advance, for both your time and advice!

-Max

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm graduating with a B.S. in CpE, and I got my B.S. in EE last year, so I know what your talking about. All of the interviews I've had are for the CpE side of things, a lot of companies want to hire a code monkey with a hardware background, and anyone with a CpE fits the bill. As long as you have that CpE and a >3.0 / 4.0 GPA you will do fine, even in a down economy.

Now weather or not this is a good thing depends on what you want to do. If you don't mind jobs like "applications engineering" or "test engineering" or "software engineering", then CpE is for you. If you want to go into design stay with the EE and get a masters (M.S. EE). The most important thing is to think about what you enjoy more, the CpE will likely land you some sort of programming job, micro controller programming, PC side test (for hardware) programming, GUI programming for test platforms, etc. Any kind of design work though, even on the CpE side (like digital IC design or microprocessor/computer architecture) will require a masters for entry into that field. If you like hardware, designing PCBs, playing with circuits, and doing schematic capture and layout, then a B.S. EE will work but jobs are not as plentiful and career options will (and this is a guess) tend towards management in the end (project management type jobs).

The extra year to get the dual degree MIGHT help you if the economy hasn't recovered yet, it has given me an edge that has opened doors to the kinds of jobs I mentioned, though for what I want to do I need a masters. Others will argue that if you going to get anything beyond your first B.S. just go for a M.S. or M.Eng.

What is the difference between computer engineering and electrical engineering?

Computer engineering focuses on the design, development, and implementation of computer systems and their components, while electrical engineering deals with the study and application of electricity, electronics, and electromagnetism.

Which field has better job prospects: computer engineering or electrical engineering?

Both fields have strong job prospects, as they are constantly evolving and in high demand. It ultimately depends on an individual's interests and skills, as well as the job market in a particular area.

Can a computer engineer work as an electrical engineer and vice versa?

While there may be some overlap in the skills and knowledge required for both fields, they are distinct disciplines. A computer engineer may have some understanding of electrical engineering principles, but may not have the necessary expertise to work as an electrical engineer without additional training and education, and vice versa.

Which field offers higher salaries: computer engineering or electrical engineering?

Both fields have the potential for high salaries, but it ultimately depends on the specific job role, location, and experience level. Generally, computer engineers may earn higher salaries in industries such as software development, while electrical engineers may earn higher salaries in fields such as power and energy.

Is one field more suitable for those interested in hardware vs. software?

While computer engineering does involve both hardware and software components, it may be more focused on software development and programming, while electrical engineering may have a stronger emphasis on hardware design and development. However, both fields require a combination of hardware and software skills, and individuals may have varying interests and strengths within each field.