Finding the Limit of x->0+ sqrtx/(1-cosx)

• Thread starter apchemstudent
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the limit of sqrt(x)/(1-cos(x)) as x approaches 0 from the positive side can be found using the L'Hopital rule. After one application, the limit is still indeterminate, but simplifying the expression to (sqrt(x)/x)(x/[1-cos(x)]) allows us to see that both factors approach positive infinity. Therefore, the limit is infinity.
apchemstudent
How do you find the limit to:

Lim
x->0+ sqrtx/(1-cosx)

I use the L'Hopital rule and i get

lim
x->0+ 1/(2sqrtx*sinx)

and I can't get anywhere after this. I even tried multiplying by sqrtx/sqrtx to get rid of the sqrtx at the beginning, but it still doesn't work. Please help, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
apchemstudent said:
lim
x->0+ 1/(2sqrtx*sinx)

What's sqrt(x) going to as x->0+? sin(x)?

Use the asymptotic expansion of cosine

[tex] \cos x \simeq 1-\frac{x^{2}}{2} [/tex] when "x" is close to zero.

Daniel.

it's still in the form infinity * infinity isn't it? got to use l'hopital's rule one more time. i think the answer is 0.

Check your list of indeterminate forms.

it is simple I guess...use the
"when top is going to 0 and bottom is going to soem where else."...I forgot the rule...But the answer is +0

Just rewrite your expression as
[tex]\frac{\sqrt{x}}{1-\cos(x)}=\frac{1}{x^{\frac{3}{2}}}(\frac{x}{\sin(x)})^{2}(1+\cos(x))[/tex]
Then it is easy to see what you should get.
Alternatively, use dexter's approach..

No you don't have to make it hard..beleive me it so simple...we did in calc 1 I forgot the rule name.

So, why is your "answer" dead wrong, then? :wink:

opps didnt noticed bottom was going to 0 too...haha
then you will have to use l'hopital rule.

well i just graphed them and looked at the graphs. sqrt(x) is really big compared to x, while 1-cos(x) is really small, so I think the limit is infinity. but now i will do the math, and no doubt come back chagrined.

no i seem to be right, i.e. one use of l'hopital gives it, yes?

or just write it as (sqrt(x)/x). (x/[1-cos(x))]) and both factors go to + infinity, the first trivially and the second by l'hopital.

1. What is the limit of the function as x approaches 0 from the positive side?

The limit of the function as x approaches 0 from the positive side is 0.

2. How do you find the limit of this function?

To find the limit of this function, we can use the L'Hospital's rule which states that the limit of the quotient of two functions is equal to the limit of their derivatives. In this case, we can take the derivatives of both the numerator and denominator and then evaluate the limit again.

3. Why do we need to use the L'Hospital's rule to find the limit?

We need to use the L'Hospital's rule because when we try to substitute 0 into the function, we get an indeterminate form of 0/0. This means that we cannot directly evaluate the limit and need to use a different method, such as the L'Hospital's rule.

4. Can we evaluate the limit by simply plugging in 0?

No, we cannot simply plug in 0 to evaluate the limit because we get an indeterminate form of 0/0. This means that we cannot determine the value of the limit without using another method, such as the L'Hospital's rule.

5. Is the limit of this function the same from both sides?

Yes, the limit of this function is the same from both the positive and negative sides. This is because the function is continuous at x=0, meaning that the limit from both sides will approach the same value.