What are some interesting math questions to explore?

• Thread starter eljose
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of the complex number "i" and its relation to the ordering of real numbers. There is a mention of Bernoulli numbers and the possibility of defining them for fractional indexes. The conversation also explores the identity involving \sqrt(-2) and a continued fraction approach to (-2)^{0.5}.
eljose
Hello it has been more than three months since i don,t post now here are my questions...:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

a)the number [tex]i=\sqrt{-1} [/tex] is it bigger or smaller than 0?..

b)we know we can define the Bernoulli numbers as the Taylor expansion of the function [tex]\frac{x}{e^{x}-1} [/tex] my question is how would we define for example the Bernoulli number [tex]B_{1/2}[/tex] ?..

hope someone can answer...

Physics news on Phys.org
You cannot define "order" for complex number the "usual" way you define that for real number. For real number, the order relation has some special properties that the product of two positive numbers is positive, the product of two negative numbers is also positive, the product of a positive number and a negative is negative, the sum of negative numbers is negative and the sum of positive numbers is positive. That's the "usual" properties we look at when ordering real numbers. Can you define two sets "positive complex" and "negative complex" numbers in a meaningful way and get similar relations?

As my 1st year lecturer once commented sounded very much like a football (that's soccer if you're American) chant : 'There's only one complete ordered field', that being the Reals.

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/BernoulliNumber.html implies there is no notion of fractional Bernoulli numbers, and that you're also using an 'old' definition.

I can choose to define (total) orderings on C such that i is greater than 0 or less than zero. Surely that tells you to reexamine your question? In anycase, tying this into the other other posts, there is no way of defining an order that is consistent with the field structure (ie so that a>b and c>0 implies ac>bc, in particular look at squaring i)

eljose said:
b)we know we can define the Bernoulli numbers as the Taylor expansion of the function [tex]\frac{x}{e^{x}-1} [/tex] my question is how would we define for example the Bernoulli number [tex]B_{1/2}[/tex] ?..

hope someone can answer...
What reason do you have for thinking that Bernoulli numbers are defined for fractional index?

But another question let be the identity:

[tex]( \sqrt(-2)+1)(\sqrt(-2)-1)=-3 [/tex] that can be re-written as:

[tex] \sqrt(-2)-1=\frac{-3}{\sqrt(-2)-1+2} [/tex]

so from this we could obtain a continued fraction approach to (-2)^{0.5}

1. What is the difference between a number and a variable?

A number is a specific value, such as 5 or 10, while a variable is a symbol that represents a value and can change, such as x or y.

2. How do you solve for a variable in an equation?

To solve for a variable, you must isolate it on one side of the equation by using inverse operations. For example, if the equation is 2x + 3 = 9, you would subtract 3 from both sides, then divide by 2 to get x = 3.

3. What is the order of operations?

The order of operations, also known as PEMDAS, stands for Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication and Division (from left to right), and Addition and Subtraction (from left to right). This is the order in which operations should be performed in a mathematical expression.

4. How do you find the area of a shape?

The formula for finding the area of a shape depends on the type of shape. For example, the area of a rectangle is found by multiplying the length by the width, while the area of a circle is found by multiplying pi (3.14) by the radius squared.

5. Why is math important?

Math is important because it is used in many aspects of daily life, such as managing finances, making measurements, and solving problems. It also helps develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills that are useful in various fields and careers.