Scwr version of the mpower reactor

• Thread starter nuclear420
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reactor
In summary, it would be possible to shrink down the scwr (super critical water reactor) to a modular size like the mpower reactor (such as the hyperion reactor). However, the material issues are determined by the materials and the environmental operating parameters. Higher enrichment means greater amount of SWUs and ore feedstock. The core must retain criticality up through EOC, i.e., up to the time of the next refueling outage. One has to balance fuel and core design requirements with fuel cycle requirements.
nuclear420
Would it be possible to shrink down the scwr (super critical water reactor) to a modular size like the mpower reactor (such as the hyperion reactor)? Does anyone forsee any complications in this idea? It seems like the major change would be the use of super critical water. I know the SCWR is plagued with material issues, but would it be possible to design a sustainable core with these dimensions?

Engineering news on Phys.org
nuclear420 said:
Would it be possible to shrink down the scwr (super critical water reactor) to a modular size like the mpower reactor (such as the hyperion reactor)? Does anyone forsee any complications in this idea? It seems like the major change would be the use of super critical water. I know the SCWR is plagued with material issues, but would it be possible to design a sustainable core with these dimensions?
The material issues are determined by the materials and the environmental operating parameters. Corrosion and material degradation are local phenomenon.

Smaller cause are slightly more challenging with respect to flux/exposure gradients and reactivity.

Basically the higher the temperature of the coolant and fuel, the less margin one has to certain technical limits.

Thank you for such a quick reply! I am designing a SCWR core for my senior design project. My professor keeps suggesting to see if a smaller version of the core can be produced, so that it can be built up (and transported easily) like the mpower reactor.

Based on your response I will read up on the reactivity and flux of mpower reactors to determine if it's a viable option. Any other points that may determine the feasability of the project would be greatly appreaciated.

Once again, Thank You!

At some point, smaller cores require higher enrichment, and therefore additional reactivity hold down in the form of soluble boron (assuming SCWR) and burnable (integral or discrete) absorbers. One should also look at the effectiveness of soluble boron in SCWR conditions.

The core must retain criticality up through EOC, i.e., up to the time of the next refueling outage. The longer the cycle or core lifetime, the higher the excess enrichment, and the higher the requirement on burnable absorbers.

One has to balance fuel and core design requirements with fuel cycle requirements. Higher enrichment means greater amount of SWUs and ore feedstock.

In the case of SWCR, O&M costs might be higher if materials have to be replaced more frequently.

FYI - http://gif.inel.gov/roadmap/pdfs/003_r_d_scope_report_for_water-cooled_reactor_systems.pdf

http://nuclear.inl.gov/gen4/docs/scwr_annual_progress_report_gen-iv_fy-03.pdf

http://www.mse.engin.umich.edu/research/highlights/175

http://www.tkk.fi/Units/AES/courses/crspages/Tfy-56.181_03/Danielyan.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to be working on the lattice physics calculations using phoenix today and tomorrow.

I've noticed that SCWR's need a high number of groups for the calculations to be accurate. According to literature by Mori, an 11 group MGD calculation produced up to a 20% deviation in k effective.

I'll update you guys on the results we get. Thanks for all the feedback I've gotten so far, and feel free to add more!

Astronuc said:
At some point, smaller cores require higher enrichment, ...
Isn't that dependent on the core composition? That is, a breeder type of design converting a fertile material such as U238 to Pu, which burns and thereby converts more U238, should not need any enriched U fuel except for the initiating charge.

mheslep said:
Isn't that dependent on the core composition? That is, a breeder type of design converting a fertile material such as U238 to Pu, which burns and thereby converts more U238, should not need any enriched U fuel except for the initiating charge.
There is a composition effect as well. There is also an effect with respect to the heterogeneity and portion of the core represented by each assembly.

It's easier to put excess reactivity in a larger core, especially when constrained by enrichment and assembly design.

Batch size (related to assembly size), refueling schedule and cycle energy are also considerations.

And there are also neutron energy spectal effects. Leakage increases as the mean free path of neutrons increase with energy (spectal hardness). This can be partly addressed through core reflectors.

Some of the newer reactor designs use steel reflectors, because steel has a good "fast removal" cross-section for fast neutrons.

Last edited:

1. What is the SCWR version of the MPOWER reactor?

The SCWR (Supercritical Water-Cooled Reactor) version of the MPOWER reactor is a type of nuclear reactor that uses supercritical water as its primary coolant. This means that the water is heated above its critical point, resulting in a single-phase fluid with properties between those of a gas and a liquid.

2. What are the advantages of the SCWR version of the MPOWER reactor?

The SCWR version of the MPOWER reactor has several advantages, including higher thermal efficiency, simplified design, and reduced capital and operational costs. It also has a smaller footprint and lower water usage compared to traditional water-cooled reactors.

3. How does the SCWR version of the MPOWER reactor work?

The SCWR version of the MPOWER reactor works by using supercritical water as its primary coolant. The water is heated in the reactor core, where it is kept under high pressure to maintain its supercritical state. The heated water is then used to drive a turbine and generate electricity.

4. What are the safety features of the SCWR version of the MPOWER reactor?

The SCWR version of the MPOWER reactor has several safety features, including a passive cooling system that uses natural circulation to remove heat in case of an emergency. It also has a negative void coefficient, which means that as the water heats up and expands, the reactivity of the reactor decreases, making it inherently stable.

5. Is the SCWR version of the MPOWER reactor currently in use?

No, the SCWR version of the MPOWER reactor is still in the design and development phase. Several countries, including China and Canada, are actively researching and developing this type of reactor, but it has not yet been commercialized.