Is the AP1000's PCCS a Cause for Concern?

• Thread starter nismaratwork
  • Start date
In summary, Gunderson's report indicates that the AP1000 is very safe. The concern seems to be around corrosion of the steel shielding, but I don't think this is likely. The valves are another means of scramming the reactor in the event of an earthquake.
nismaratwork
Hello, my mother recently sent me a very mediocre article showing concerns regarding the Westinghouse AP1000 PWR with PCCS. The thrust of the concern seemed to be the possibility that the steel shielding could corrode, or be otherwise compromised by an earthquake, leading to a radioactive release a la the chimney effect. I am not a nuclear engineer, but it didn't seem likely to me, given the proposed construction. I did say that I would ask some people who are nuclear engineers, and I would guess there are a few here. To me, the massive reduction in moving parts, and the explosive locks seem to be enhancing safety. I assume this reactor can be SCRAMed like any other as well. Am I missing something, or is this the usual anti-nuclear hysteria?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Explosive locks?

Reactors are designed to scram at level below a design basis earthquake.

Reactors are enclosed in a containment of reinforced concrete, which has a steel liner. The objective in passive cooling is to have a reservoir of cooling water that does not have to be forced by pumps.

I believe that article's premise is faulty.

Astronuc said:
Explosive locks?

Reactors are designed to scram at level below a design basis earthquake.

Reactors are enclosed in a containment of reinforced concrete, which has a steel liner. The objective in passive cooling is to have a reservoir of cooling water that does not have to be forced by pumps.

I believe that article's premise is faulty.

Excellent, that is what I was hoping to hear. Thanks very much.

I've been informed that I am twice the fool; not explosive locks, but explosive and DC operated valves:
explosively operated and DC operated valves
. I believe the concern is that there is a space between the steel and concrete structures, and that the convection cooling at the top of the stack could draw radioactive contaminants through a space between the concrete and the steel. To me, it still sounds extremely safe, and the valves are just another means to scram with redundancy.

I just asked for a link to the article, and here it is (a blog, not an article it turns out). There is talk of a lack of backup containment, but I've never heard of a reactor with so much steel shielding, and what is the concrete if not "backup"?

http://green.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/04/21/critics-challenge-safety-of-new-nuclear-reactor-design/

I'll be blunt: I think this is nonsense, but I want to be able to say I asked the questions asked of me. Thanks again Atronuc, I don't think any of this changes your conclusion.

Last edited:
I'm curious about the article, particularly the basis for any claims as to what might occur and what might be the consequences thereof.

It's not like we site plants without consideration as to the geologic/seismic history. In fact, site characterization includes a detailed assessment regarding the geology and seismic history, including the presence of faults and other features. The plants containment and mechanical systems are designed according to accelerations that are expected to occur, and for some systems or components, much higher - like 4 g or 6 g.

Thanks for posting the link.

It will take time to work through Gunderson's report, but from a cursory glance there's some apples-oranges associations.

Last edited:
Astronuc said:
I'm curious about the article, particularly the basis for any claims as to what might occur and what might be the consequences thereof.

It's not like we site plants without consideration as to the geologic/seismic history. In fact, site characterization includes a detailed assessment regarding the geology and seismic history, including the presence of faults and other features. The plants containment and mechanical systems are designed according to accelerations that are expected to occur, and for some systems or components, much higher - like 4 g or 6 g.

Thanks for posting the link.

It will take time to work through Gunderson's report, but from a cursory glance there's some apples-oranges associations.

Thanks Atronuc, you're a scholar and a gentleman. :) I look forward to your conclusions, but as you say, how would a huge earthquake be different for this than a LWR, or even a Gen IV reactor? If it cracks that much steel and concrete, I think a little radioactive steam is the least concern for that region. Anyway, take your time, and thanks for giving this a read.

nismaratwork said:
If it cracks that much steel and concrete, I think a little radioactive steam is the least concern for that region. Anyway, take your time, and thanks for giving this a read.

I'm reminded of a little extract from some classic literature:

"They'll catch up," Ng says. "On a straightaway, they can run at seven hundred miles per hour."

"Is it true they have nuke stuff inside of them?"

"Radiothermal isotopes."

"What happens if one gets busted open? Everyone gets all mutated?"

"If you ever find yourself in the presence of a destructive force powerful enough to decapsulate those isotopes," Ng says, "radiation sickness will be the least of your worries."

minerva said:
I'm reminded of a little extract from some classic literature:

That is one of my favorite books of all time, along with Joyce's Ulysses. Neal Stephenson is god. :)

Your point is well taken too, thanks!

1. What is the AP1000's PCCS and why is it a cause for concern?

The AP1000's PCCS stands for Passive Containment Cooling System, which is a safety feature designed to cool the reactor and prevent it from overheating in case of accidents. It is a cause for concern because there have been concerns about its effectiveness and reliability in certain scenarios.

2. What are the potential risks associated with the AP1000's PCCS?

The potential risks associated with the AP1000's PCCS include the possibility of malfunction or failure in extreme events such as severe accidents or natural disasters. There are also concerns about the system's ability to sufficiently cool the reactor in certain scenarios, leading to a potential release of radioactive material.

3. Has the AP1000's PCCS been tested and proven to be safe?

The AP1000's PCCS has been extensively tested and evaluated by the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) and other independent organizations. It has been deemed safe and effective for normal operation, but there are ongoing discussions and research on its ability to withstand extreme events.

4. What measures are being taken to address any potential issues with the AP1000's PCCS?

The NRC has required additional testing and modifications to the AP1000's PCCS to address any potential concerns. The manufacturer has also implemented design changes and improvements to enhance the system's reliability and effectiveness in extreme events.

5. Is the AP1000's PCCS a unique feature of this specific reactor?

No, the AP1000's PCCS is not a unique feature and is used in other nuclear reactor designs as well. However, the design and implementation of the PCCS may vary among different reactors, and the AP1000's PCCS has undergone specific evaluations and modifications to meet safety standards.