Talking to HR representatives when interviewing for a research posn

• Thread starter maverick_starstrider
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Research
In summary, the conversation discusses the upcoming interview for a research position at an industry research facility. The individual is a computationalist and is interested in the position, but has no experience in the specific numerical methods that the facility works with. They have experience in computational linear algebra and have used finite-element methods in previous internships. The individual is concerned about communicating their skills without using scientific or mathematical explanations. The advice given is to focus on relevant and truthful information and to try to speak with someone technical during the interview.
maverick_starstrider
Hi All,

I've got an upcoming "chat" with an HR representative for a research position at an industry research facility. I am a computationalist and I think I would love the position. However, the specific numerical methods they work with (being more based on finite-element methods) are not something I have demonstrable research experience in. My own research has been focused on more computational linear algebra methods. However, my career (and how I market myself) has been focused on strong numerics and high-performance computing (HPC) and I'm certainly extremely familiar with finite-element methods (and have used them in previous industry internships), though not the exact methods.

My problem is that I am having an initial interview with an HR person (not a physicist/computationalist), so how do I communicate: No, I have not exactly used those modeling buzzwords but I've written extremely efficient, customized (i.e. not just "out-of-the-box") codes, based in a half-a-dozen or so different numerical methods throughout my classroom, industry and research career and in the time until taking up the position I am extremely confident I could become expert at those exact method before starting the job.

How do I convince someone of that without talking about any specific scientific/mathematical explanation or justification relating to the exact methods?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't try to over-think this, and don't confuse them (HR people they are mostly bears of little brain - to be fair, they have some skills, but understanding science and technology are rarely top of the list).

Just tell them everything that could possibly be relevant to the situation, and which isn't actually false. E.g. if you have used commercial FE programs X Y and Z, that's a true fact, even if you never made any models similar to the work you are being offered.

Your objective is to get an interview with somebody technical. That's the place to have a proper technical discussion.

Try to locate some research person there, and talk to them also.
I once was told by an HR person that I had to know 'operational methods' when all that meant in that job was
letting d/dx=p instead of D. It was only a summer job, but I got it.

1. How should I prepare for talking to HR representatives during an interview for a research position?

Before talking to HR representatives, it is important to research the company and the position you are interviewing for. This will help you understand the company culture and the specific requirements of the role. Additionally, make sure to review your resume and prepare answers to common interview questions.

2. What should I expect when talking to HR representatives during an interview for a research position?

During the interview, the HR representative may ask you questions about your qualifications, experience, and skills. They may also provide information about the company, the role, and the benefits and expectations of the position. Be prepared to ask questions and have a conversation about your fit for the role.

3. How should I present myself when talking to HR representatives during an interview for a research position?

It is important to present yourself professionally and confidently when talking to HR representatives. This includes dressing appropriately, maintaining good eye contact, and speaking clearly and concisely. It is also important to be friendly and personable, as HR representatives are often looking for candidates who will fit well within the company culture.

4. What kind of questions should I ask when talking to HR representatives during an interview for a research position?

Some questions to ask during an interview with HR representatives could include asking about the company's goals and current projects, the team you will be working with, and the potential for growth and development within the company. You can also ask about the company's culture and values, and how they align with your own goals and values.

5. Is it appropriate to negotiate salary and benefits when talking to HR representatives during an interview for a research position?

It is generally not appropriate to negotiate salary and benefits during the initial interview with HR representatives. However, if a job offer is extended, it is appropriate to negotiate at that time. It is important to do research on industry standards and have a clear understanding of your worth before entering into negotiations.