Value of Sine(π) - Calc&Graph on Google Play

• Thread starter Adit
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Value
In summary, the value of sin(3.14159265358979) on a scientific calculator is approximated to be close to zero, but can be inaccurate depending on the precision of the calculator.
Adit
I know it should be absolute zero, but in a scientific calculator, which is an app actually, its value is shown 1.224646799x10^(-16). The value is so small, but it is not zero. I wanted to be sure that this is a bug or really it has a value. App's name is Calc&Graph, on Google play.

Likes Modulo2pi
Physics news on Phys.org
You could say it is a bug.
You could also consider that any calculator only returns an approximate value.
Often, on handlheld calculators, the approximation for trig functions is based on the CORDIC algorithm.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CORDIC
It is much more precise than a MacLaurin development would be, because it relies on exact trig relations.
However, the arithmetic calculations are carried out with a finite number of digits (bits) and therefore even multiplications or divisions are approximate.

You need also to take care of the precision of the data you have input to the calculator.
For example, this is an "exact" result:

Sin[3.14159265358979] = 3.23109*10^-15

but it could be that the precision of the calculator can't handle more decimals after 3.1415...879 .

Likes Modulo2pi
Adit said:
I know it should be absolute zero, but in a scientific calculator, which is an app actually, its value is shown 1.224646799x10^(-16). The value is so small, but it is not zero. I wanted to be sure that this is a bug or really it has a value. App's name is Calc&Graph, on Google play.

[itex]\sin(\pi) = 0[/itex].

Calculators do not understand irrational numbers; they can only ever deal with a finite subset of the rational numbers. Occasionally this will cause them to get things wrong. But a decent calculator should be able to tell the difference between "sine of (user pressed the pi button)" and "sine of (some number starting with 3.14)" and will return the correct value for the former.

This can also cause discrepancies between "user wants the cube root of -27, apparently that's -3" and "user wants to raise -27 to the power 0.333333333333; I don't know how to do that with a negative base".

Last edited:
Likes Modulo2pi
Oh thank you, I got it. That is calculating value of sine(3.14...), and the close it is to π, closer my answer is to zero. Thanks, I didn't think of that.

Likes Modulo2pi

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. The value of sine(π) should indeed be zero, as you correctly stated. However, the value of 1.224646799x10^(-16) is not a bug, but rather a result of the limitations of computer and calculator precision. This value is known as machine epsilon, which is the smallest number that can be represented on a computer. Essentially, the calculator is rounding the value to the nearest number it can accurately represent, which in this case is 1.224646799x10^(-16). So while technically not zero, this value is as close to zero as the calculator can show. It is important to keep in mind that all calculations done on a computer or calculator are subject to these limitations of precision.

1. What is the "Value of Sine(π) - Calc&Graph" app on Google Play?

The "Value of Sine(π) - Calc&Graph" app is a calculator and graphing tool available on Google Play that allows users to calculate and graph the value of the sine function at any given angle, including π (pi).

2. Can this app be used for academic or professional purposes?

Yes, this app can be used for academic or professional purposes. It can be helpful for students, teachers, and professionals who need to calculate and graph the value of the sine function at π (pi) or any other angle.

3. Is the "Value of Sine(π) - Calc&Graph" app accurate?

Yes, the app is accurate in calculating and graphing the value of the sine function at π (pi) and other angles. The app uses precise mathematical formulas and algorithms to ensure accurate results.

4. Does the app have any additional features?

Yes, the "Value of Sine(π) - Calc&Graph" app has additional features such as the ability to change the graph's scale, color, and type, as well as the option to save and share graphs.

5. Is the app user-friendly?

Yes, the "Value of Sine(π) - Calc&Graph" app has a user-friendly interface that is easy to navigate. It also provides step-by-step instructions for using the app, making it accessible for users of all levels.