Find the steady-state temperature of the rod.

In summary, the rod experiences a gradual increase in temperature as it moves from the left half of the domain to the right half. The point at which the temperature reaches its maximum is located in the right half of the domain.
eunice064
A rod occupying the interval 0 ≤ x ≤ l is subject to the heat source

f(x) =0, for 0 < x < L/2
f(x) =H , for L/2 <x <L ,H>0

(1)The rod satisfies the heat equation ut = uxx + f(x) and its ends are kept at zero temperature. Find the steady-state temperature of the rod.
(2)Which pointis the hottest, and what is the temperature there?

From this point i don't know what to do

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
eunice064 said:
A rod occupying the interval 0 ≤ x ≤ l is subject to the heat source

f(x) =0, for 0 < x < L/2
f(x) =H , for L/2 <x <L ,H>0

(1)The rod satisfies the heat equation ut = uxx + f(x) and its ends are kept at zero temperature. Find the steady-state temperature of the rod.
(2)Which pointis the hottest, and what is the temperature there?

From this point i don't know what to do

thanks

Are you sure you have stated the problem correctly? Isn't the 1-dimensional heat equation ##u_t = u_{xx}##? And is that ##f(x)## you have given the initial condition ##u(x,0)##? Why do you have ##f(x)## in the heat equation? Once you get that straight my hint would be to remember that steady state heat flow means there is no variation in temperature over time. So ##u_t=0##.

LCKurtz said:
Are you sure you have stated the problem correctly? Isn't the 1-dimensional heat equation ##u_t = u_{xx}##. And is that ##f(x)## you have given the initial condition ##u(x,0)##? Why do you have ##f(x)## in the heat equation? Once you get that straight my hint would be to remember that steady state heat flow means there is no variation in temperature over time. So ##u_t=0##.

thank you

so ut=0 ,i get uxx=f(x) with the boundary conditions is u(0)=0 & u(L)=0

How do I solve u?

You might first address the issues I raised about the form of the heat equation and about f(x).

You can break the domain into two parts, a left half and a right half. The left half is LaPlace equation in one dimension. The right half is the Poisson equation in one dimension. Solve them separately. The constant temperature boundary condition will make one constant of integration known for each domain. That leaves two unknown constants of integration, one for each half. They are determined by forcing continuity of temperature and heat flux at the midpoint which provides you with two equations so you can then determine the remaining two constants.

What is the definition of steady-state temperature?

Steady-state temperature refers to the temperature at which the rate of heat transfer into an object is equal to the rate of heat transfer out of it, resulting in a constant temperature over time.

How is the steady-state temperature of a rod calculated?

The steady-state temperature of a rod can be calculated using the heat equation, which takes into account the material properties of the rod, the initial temperature distribution, and the boundary conditions.

What factors affect the steady-state temperature of a rod?

The steady-state temperature of a rod is affected by its material properties, such as thermal conductivity and specific heat capacity, as well as the temperature of its surroundings and the length and diameter of the rod.

Can the steady-state temperature of a rod change over time?

No, by definition, the steady-state temperature of a rod remains constant over time as long as the external conditions and material properties remain the same.

How is the steady-state temperature of a rod used in practical applications?

The knowledge of the steady-state temperature of a rod is important in various engineering and scientific applications, such as designing thermal insulation materials, predicting temperature changes in electronic devices, and analyzing heat transfer in buildings.