Proving Normal Subgroup of S4 in Alternative Ways

In summary, To prove a particular subset of S4 is a normal subgroup, one can use Lagrange's theorem for groups and the fact that any permutation is a product of disjoint transpositions. This can help simplify the process and make it easier than brute force.
msd213
How would one go about proving a particular subset of S4 is a normal subgroup of S4? Since S4 has 24 elements, I'm wondering if there is any other way to prove this other than a brute force method.

Physics news on Phys.org
you can use a certain (obvious) implication of the Lagrange theorem for groups to thin out the workload; and you can also use the fact that any permutation is a product of disjoint transpositions to further simplify notation... of course if by S4 you mean [tex]S_4[/tex] the symmetry group.

so yes there is a way to find the normal subgroups by other means than brute force.:smile:

tauon said:
you can use a certain (obvious) implication of the Lagrange theorem for groups to thin out the workload; and you can also use the fact that any permutation is a product of disjoint transpositions to further simplify notation... of course if by S4 you mean [tex]S_4[/tex] the symmetry group.

so yes there is a way to find the normal subgroups by other means than brute force.:smile:

Yes, the symmetry group.

I'm not sure I entirely know what you mean with Lagrange's theorem. I'm not sure how that exactly helps.

And breaking up each permutation into transpositions, won't that just make the brute force easier?

tauon said:

Yes, the symmetry group.

I'm not sure I entirely know what you mean with Lagrange's theorem. I'm not sure how that exactly helps.

And breaking up each permutation into transpositions, won't that just make the brute force easier?

What is a normal subgroup of S4?

A normal subgroup of S4 is a subgroup of the symmetric group S4 that is invariant under conjugation. This means that when you apply a permutation to the elements of the subgroup, the result is still within the subgroup.

How do you determine if a subgroup of S4 is normal?

To determine if a subgroup of S4 is normal, you can use the normal subgroup test. This involves checking if the subgroup is closed under conjugation by all elements of S4. If the subgroup remains unchanged after conjugation, it is normal.

What is the order of a normal subgroup of S4?

The order of a normal subgroup of S4 is a divisor of the order of S4, which is 24. This means that the order of a normal subgroup can be 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, 12, or 24.

Can a normal subgroup of S4 be a cyclic group?

Yes, a normal subgroup of S4 can be a cyclic group. For example, the subgroup generated by the permutation (1 2 3) is a cyclic subgroup of S4 and it is also normal.

What is the relationship between normal subgroups and normalizers in S4?

The normalizer of a subgroup in S4 is the largest subgroup of S4 that contains the subgroup and is normal. This means that the normalizer of a subgroup is also a normal subgroup of S4. However, not all normal subgroups are normalizers, as there may be larger normal subgroups that contain the given subgroup.