Calculating Acceleration Time for an Electron

In summary, the problem involves an electron being accelerated uniformly from rest to a velocity of 2.0x10^7m/s over a displacement of .10m. The question asks for the time it takes to reach the final velocity. The solution involves using the formula s=(u+v)/2*t, where s is displacement, u is initial speed (which is 0 in this case), v is final speed (2.0x10^7m/s), and t is time (unknown). By plugging in the known values, the time can be solved for and is equal to .5x10^-8 seconds.
slpnsldr

Homework Statement

An electron is accelerated uniformly from rest to a velocity of 2.0x10^7m/s(E) over the displacement .10m(E).

How long does the electron take to reach its final velocity?

Homework Equations

This is what i want to know

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the answer, but can not figure out how to get it 1x10^-8

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe try using one of the kinematic equations like v=u+at or s=ut+1/2at2

s=(u+v)/2*t
put u=0

ok more precisely the problem is that i don't know acceleration or time. all the general equations i know, require either acceleration or time to figure out one or the other. So, not knowing either, how do I proceed?

and, don't those three equations require me to know time??

you almost know the average speed :
half the ending speed , because the starting speed was zero.

When you don't know how to proceed, it's better if you list all the know data. Like this:

[tex] v_{1}=0, v_{2}=..., \Delta d=..., a=?, \Delta t=?[/tex]

Now, since you know v1,v2, Delta d, which formula can you use?

of the 5 general equations for uniform acceleration that i know, all of the equations require us to know one of the two acceleration, or time.

well, if the equation doesn't have TIME in it , you'll never be able to solve for the time .

But don't you have an equation withOUT acceleration?

Interceptor has told you the answer.

Ok, so if interceptors equation is,

s=(u+v)/2*t

s is Speed = 1x10^7
u is ? but = 0
v is Velocity = 2x10^7
t is time? = unknown

Which means I can't proceed because I have an equation that requires one of my unknowns.

Sorry for being so much trouble. But I am really havin a hard time with this lol.

slpnsldr said:
Ok, so if interceptors equation is,

s=(u+v)/2*t

s is Speed = 1x10^7
u is ? but = 0
v is Velocity = 2x10^7
t is time? = unknown

Which means I can't proceed because I have an equation that requires one of my unknowns.

Sorry for being so much trouble. But I am really havin a hard time with this lol.

s is displacement.

It's alright. By s=(u+v)/2*t, Interceptor meant, s for displacement, u for initial speed and v for final speed. u=0 because the electron started from rest; other than that, you know s and v. Therefore, you can solve for t.

ummm.. t= ((u+v)/2)/s ? does that make sense? ahhhh I suck at this

ahhhh Nice!

t=s/(u+v)/2

Thanks so much guys! My heros!

FAQ: Calculating Acceleration Time for an Electron

1. What is the acceleration time problem?

The acceleration time problem is a physics concept that deals with calculating the time it takes for an object to reach a certain acceleration. It involves using the equations of motion and understanding the relationship between acceleration, velocity, and time.

2. How do you solve an acceleration time problem?

To solve an acceleration time problem, you need to identify the given values for acceleration, initial velocity, and final velocity. Then you can use the equation vf = vi + at to calculate the time it takes for the object to reach the final velocity.

3. What are the units for acceleration?

The units for acceleration are typically meters per second squared (m/s^2). However, other units such as feet per second squared (ft/s^2) or kilometers per hour squared (km/h^2) can also be used depending on the given problem.

4. How does acceleration affect time?

Acceleration affects time by determining how quickly an object's velocity changes. A higher acceleration will result in a shorter time for an object to reach a certain velocity, while a lower acceleration will result in a longer time. In other words, the greater the acceleration, the shorter the time.

5. Can you have negative acceleration time?

Yes, you can have negative acceleration time. Negative acceleration, also known as deceleration, occurs when an object's velocity is decreasing. In this case, the time it takes for the object to reach a certain velocity will be a negative value. This can happen when an object is slowing down or moving in the opposite direction of its initial velocity.