What careers are available for math majors in applied fields?

In summary, the conversation discusses various career options for individuals majoring in mathematics. The conversation also touches upon the importance of obtaining job skills relevant to the real world job market. Examples of specific careers in applied mathematics, physics, and computer science are mentioned, such as being a statistician or statistical programmer. The conversation also mentions actuarial work as a potential career path for math majors.
karliedawn
I am currently a sophmore in college as a mathematics major. I see that a lot of the career advice on this page that encourages me to obtain job skills, something applicable to the real world job market. Does anyone have any examples of specific careers in applied mathematics/physics/computer science they would like to share? I want to start narrowing my ideas to something more specific:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
I used to intern for a medium sized lending company before i graduated college and they hired statisticians for ~60k range. It was pretty crazy because they had an entire wall as their white board. When they weren't using the giant whiteboard they were programming in SQL and R. So i'll start off by saying:

Statistician / Statistical Programmer

I work as an actuary and enjoy the job. Most actuaries are math majors, though it is not a requirement.

What is a "Career Brainstorm Session"?

A "Career Brainstorm Session" is a structured meeting or workshop where individuals can explore and discuss potential career options and strategies with the help of a facilitator. It is designed to help individuals clarify their career goals and identify steps to achieve them.

Who can benefit from a "Career Brainstorm Session"?

Anyone who is feeling stuck or unsure about their career path can benefit from a "Career Brainstorm Session". It is also useful for individuals who are considering a career change or looking to advance in their current career.

How long does a "Career Brainstorm Session" typically last?

The duration of a "Career Brainstorm Session" can vary, but it typically lasts between 1-2 hours. This allows enough time for participants to brainstorm and discuss their ideas in detail.

What can I expect to gain from a "Career Brainstorm Session"?

A "Career Brainstorm Session" can help you gain clarity and direction in your career. By exploring different options and strategies, you can identify your strengths and values, set goals, and create an action plan to achieve them.

How do I prepare for a "Career Brainstorm Session"?

Before attending a "Career Brainstorm Session", it can be helpful to reflect on your career goals and challenges. This will help you articulate your thoughts and make the most of the session. It is also important to come with an open mind and be willing to explore new ideas and perspectives.