Pinion Gear Quary: Breakage, Overcoming & Tolerance Stack Up

• Thread starter dhananjaya
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gear
In summary, the Gear teeth are 14 and the pressure angle is 20 degrees. The root diameter is .4743 and the STD pitch dia is .5833. The whole depth is .0938.
dhananjaya
The pinion gear is run by motor and is made of "FD-0205-50 per MPIF 35" material.
what could be the reason for pinion breakage.
How to overcome that problem and what are the parameters you need to consider.
Is it possible for investment casting gear.
what could be the possible tolerance stack up.

it's 14 teeth,DP=24, pressure angle=20 degree,AGMA quality Q7.
OD=0.6637-0.6667
Root diameter=0.4743-0.4773
STD pitch dia=0.5833
ADDEndum=0.0417
Whole depth,minimum=0.0938.

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm afraid that I don't know what most of those abbreviations mean. The first culprits that I look for when a gear goes bad are unexpected impact loads, improperly set lash, misalignment with the mating gear, or simply a bad component (factory defect).

edit: Hmmm... forgot one: foreign objects.

Last edited:
Are you serious? Are you mad? Just because you spout the gear data, you actually think anyone can glean an ounce of information as to how they are used? What the laoding is? What the service type is? How in the heck can we tell you what your tolerance stack ups are?

The obvious reason for pinion breakage is that you haven't a clue as to what you are doing.

If this is a problem posed to you in your job function, you are in a lot of trouble. I suggest you pick up any basic design of machine elements book and start reading.

Last edited:
The pinion broke because you're doing something wrong with it. How on Earth we're supposed to figure out what, given the inadequate and largely superfluous information you've supplied is, as a professional engineer, beyond me.

http://www.emerson-ept.com/EPTRoot/Public/prod/main.asp

Check out what is readily available. Check out the components section.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for that link, Ronnin. I've bookmarked it; looks right handy.

Danger said:
Thanks for that link, Ronnin. I've bookmarked it; looks right handy.

Your very welcome. I sell all of this neat stuff but never get to play with it.

1. What is a pinion gear and why is it important?

A pinion gear is a small gear with teeth that meshes with a larger gear, called a spur gear, to transmit power and motion. It is important because it allows for efficient power transmission and mechanical movement in many machines and devices.

2. What causes pinion gears to break?

Pinion gears can break due to several reasons, including excessive load or torque, poor quality materials or manufacturing, and wear and tear over time. In some cases, improper installation or maintenance can also lead to breakage.

3. How can I overcome pinion gear breakage?

To overcome pinion gear breakage, it is important to first identify and address the root cause of the breakage. This may involve reducing the load or torque on the gear, using higher quality materials, or improving the manufacturing process. Proper maintenance and regular inspections can also help prevent breakage.

4. What is tolerance stack up in relation to pinion gears?

Tolerance stack up refers to the cumulative effect of small variations in dimensions and tolerances of individual components in a system. In the case of pinion gears, tolerance stack up can lead to misalignment or improper meshing with the spur gear, which can result in increased stress and potential breakage.

5. How can tolerance stack up be managed in pinion gear systems?

Tolerance stack up can be managed by carefully considering and controlling the tolerances of individual components, as well as the overall design and assembly of the system. This may involve using precision machining techniques and conducting thorough testing and analysis to ensure proper fit and function of the pinion gear system.

Back