Calculating Spherical Collision Outcomes

In summary: You might be able to treat the air molecules as moving in straight lines (instead of curvy flow lines) in the vicinity of the airplane, but the flow would be affected by the presence of the plane. You could iterate, but I wouldn't expect simple equations. I'm not an aerodynamicist, but I suspect you'd have to ask an aerodynamicist.In summary, the conversation discussed a collision between two spherical masses with given velocities and masses, and how to calculate the new direction of one of the masses after the collision using equations for conservation of energy and momentum. The conversation also touched on the potential impact of changes in velocity or surface friction coefficients on the deflection angle of the mass, and whether this same model could be
Badmachine
A spherical mass (m1 at 4 kilograms), moving at 10m/s from the northwest (or from the direction of 315 degrees), collides with another spherical mass (m2 at 2 kilograms), moving at 5m/s from the south (or from the direction of 180 degrees).

Mass m2 is now redirected toward the southwest (or towards the direction of 225 degress).

How would one calculate for the new direction of m1?

Thank you.

P.S.: Not homework.

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming the collision is elastic, so kinetic energy is conserved...

You set up equations for conservation of energy, conservation of x-component of momentum, and conservation of y-component of momentum. This gives you three equations which you can solve for the three unknowns: speed of m1, speed of m2, and direction of m2.

Even though this may not be an actual homework question, it is a homework-like question, and therefore belongs in the homework forums (and has been moved there.)

Thanks JTB.

Two other questions if I may:

- Would a change in velocity of m1 or surface friction coefficients of m1 and m2, result in a deflection angle change for m1?

- Could this same model be used to calculate an aircraft deflection angle created by a crosswind, if aircraft speed, air density and air velocity are known? (ordinary "wind triangle" calculations don't seem to account for this question when different speeds are applied)

E.g.: an aircraft would become m1 (same direction) and a crosswind would become m2 (same direction).

Last edited:
OK, I thought you wanted to work out the solution for that particular situation, which is why I moved this originally to the homework forums. Simple collisions like the one you described are pretty common homework exercises in introductory physics courses. Now it appears you want to discuss this more generally, so I've moved it back to the original forum. Sorry for the confusion.

Badmachine said:
- Would a change in velocity of m1 or surface friction coefficients of m1 and m2, result in a deflection angle change for m1?

A change in v1 would make a difference, in general.

Friction between m1 and m2 would in general cause both spheres to start rotating (if they weren't rotating to begin with) or change their state of rotation. If their rotational kinetic energy is significant (compared to their translational kinetic energy) you'd have to take that into account in energy conservation. I've never tried to solve a problem like that myself.

- Could this same model be used to calculate an aircraft deflection angle created by a crosswind, if aircraft speed, air density and air velocity are known? (ordinary "wind triangle" calculations don't seem to account for this question when different speeds are applied)

I doubt this would work very well. This sounds like a rather complex aerodynamic problem. You've got bazillions of air molecules (not a single rigid object) colliding with the plane and with each other. The motions of the molecules are affected by the motions of the other molecules (fluid flow).

1. How do you calculate the outcome of a collision between two spherical objects?

The outcome of a collision between two spherical objects can be calculated using the law of conservation of momentum and the coefficient of restitution. The momentum of each object before and after the collision can be calculated using their respective masses and velocities, and the coefficient of restitution takes into account the elasticity of the objects. By solving for the velocities after the collision, the outcome can be determined.

2. What factors affect the outcome of a spherical collision?

The outcome of a spherical collision can be affected by factors such as the masses and velocities of the objects, the coefficient of restitution, and the angle of collision. The shape and material of the objects can also have an impact on the outcome.

3. Can the outcome of a spherical collision be predicted accurately?

The outcome of a spherical collision can be predicted with a high degree of accuracy using mathematical equations and computer simulations. However, external factors such as air resistance and imperfections in the objects may affect the accuracy of the prediction.

4. How is the coefficient of restitution determined for a spherical collision?

The coefficient of restitution for a spherical collision can be determined experimentally by measuring the rebound height of an object after being dropped from a certain height onto a surface. The ratio of the rebound height to the initial drop height is equal to the coefficient of restitution.

5. What are some real-world applications of calculating spherical collision outcomes?

Calculating spherical collision outcomes is useful in many fields, including physics, engineering, and sports. It is used to design and test safety features in cars and other vehicles, to predict the outcome of collisions in sports such as billiards and golf, and to understand the behavior of particles in particle accelerators.