Photoelectric Material: Frequency, Amplified Cosmic Radiation

In summary, the conversation discusses the frequencies of light that are most effective in causing the photoelectric effect, which is when electrons are ejected from a material. It is noted that this effect usually occurs with metals using UV light, as lower frequencies do not have enough energy. The topic of amplifying cosmic radiation is also brought up, with the mention that UV light from space is heavily absorbed by the atmosphere. The conversation also clarifies the term "photoelectric light" and discusses other materials that can produce the photoelectric effect, such as cuprous oxide, which can occur in certain gases and liquids as well.
Imparcticle
What frequencies of light does photoelectric light react best to? Does it matter? How would it react to an amplified form of cosmic radiation?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Photoelectric light?

The photoelectric effect (when electrons are ejected from a material) usually happens with metals using UV light. Lower (visible or IR) frequencies don't have enough energy to do this. I don't see why one would bother amplifying cosmic radiation. The UV from space is heavily absorbed by the atmosphere.

Last edited by a moderator:
Imparcticle,
Please define "photoelectric light." ("photoelectric material", as the thread title suggests, perhaps?)

Gonzolo,
I believe you mean "... lower frequencies don't have enough energy ..."?

Likes Upsilon
Oh my god yes! <self-slap in the face> Edited.

so I'm very interested in this subject and have never been on a forum, please bear with me.
doesn't cuprous oxide produce a photoelectric effect? i was wondering what else created this effect as well... by definition a photoelectric effect doesn't only exist within metals, but also certain gasses and liquids as well... again please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

What is photoelectric material?

Photoelectric material is a type of material that exhibits the photoelectric effect, where it absorbs and emits light when exposed to electromagnetic radiation. This effect is used in many modern technologies, such as solar cells and digital cameras.

What is the frequency of photoelectric material?

The frequency of photoelectric material depends on the specific material being used. Different materials have different energy band gaps, which determine the frequency of light that is absorbed and emitted. Generally, photoelectric materials have frequencies in the visible or ultraviolet range.

How does photoelectric material amplify cosmic radiation?

Photoelectric material does not amplify cosmic radiation. In fact, it is used to detect and measure cosmic radiation. When cosmic rays interact with photoelectric material, they produce charged particles that can be measured and studied by scientists.

What are the benefits of using photoelectric material in technology?

Photoelectric material has many benefits in technology, including its ability to efficiently convert light into electricity, its sensitivity to small amounts of light, and its low cost. It is also environmentally friendly and renewable, making it a popular choice for solar energy applications.

What are some common uses of photoelectric material?

Photoelectric material has a wide range of uses, including in solar cells, digital cameras, photodiodes, and optical sensors. It is also used in medical imaging, such as X-rays, and in particle detectors for high-energy physics experiments.