Total Energy calculation of permanent magnet

In summary, magnets can hold a lot of energy. It is an interesting question to ponder about whether or not we could actually extract all the energy from a magnet through its magnetic field interactions.
Shantaram
Does anyone know how to calculate the total energy of magnet?
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Shantaram said:
Does anyone know how to calculate the total energy of magnet?
Thanks!

Welcome to the PF. What is the context of your question? Is it a school question, a school project, or for personal interest? What do you know about magnets and energy so far? Do you mean the energy required to initially magnetize a permanent magnet, or the energy available from a permanent magnet to do work on something? What kind of something?

Thanks for reply.
Its my personal interest to know about the permanent magnet.
I meant,total energy avilable from the magnet to do some work.

Probably the best way to do it is to calculate the energy contained in the magnetic fields created by the magnet. But that is probably not the same as the total energy available. It is an interesting question to ponder about whether or not we could actually extract all the energy from a magnet through its magnetic field interactions. This is because the force exerted is proportional to the field strength. As we extract energy from the magnetic fields, their strength must decrease to reflect the appropriate reduction in the energy density of the fields. Thus, the amount of mass that can be moved decreases since we have to overcome such environmental forces as gravity or friction.

EDIT: Not only that but a magnet field is conservative. If I use a magnet to draw close a pin, it exerts force and expends energy. However, if I take the pin and move back to its original position, I give back the same energy to the magnetic field. So now we have a problem, let's say we have millions of these pins and we want to extract all the energy by having the magnet pull in these pins. But we cannot clear away the pins after they are pulled in since this returns energy to the magnet. So now the pins have to pile up on th magnet, this means that the next pin can only be pulled in over a smaller and smaller distance. And the farther we go away from the magnet, the weaker the field is. So the energy in the fields is locked in locally to the magnet. It is another problem to get at this energy without being forced to use objects to heavy to pull in and too low in density to pull in a large number to a close proximity.

Thanks!
Yes, you are right.The magnetic field is change with respect to varying airgap between poles.
can I get any brief information on this?

Related to Total Energy calculation of permanent magnet

1. What is total energy calculation of permanent magnet?

Total energy calculation of permanent magnet refers to the process of determining the amount of energy stored in a permanent magnet due to its magnetic properties. This calculation takes into account factors such as the magnet's strength, size, and orientation.

2. Why is it important to calculate the total energy of a permanent magnet?

Calculating the total energy of a permanent magnet is important for understanding its performance and capabilities. This information is useful in designing and optimizing magnetic devices such as motors, generators, and sensors.

3. What factors affect the total energy of a permanent magnet?

The total energy of a permanent magnet is affected by its magnetic field strength, size, and shape. The material properties of the magnet, such as its magnetic moment, also play a role in the total energy calculation.

4. How is the total energy of a permanent magnet calculated?

The total energy of a permanent magnet can be calculated using the formula U = -μ0/2 * ∫H * dB, where U is the total energy, μ0 is the permeability of free space, H is the magnetic field strength, and dB is the change in magnetic flux density. This integral is taken over the volume of the magnet.

5. Are there any limitations to the total energy calculation of permanent magnets?

Yes, there are limitations to the total energy calculation of permanent magnets. The formula used assumes a uniform magnetization throughout the entire volume of the magnet, which may not be the case in all situations. Additionally, external factors such as temperature and demagnetization can affect the accuracy of the calculation.