Calculating Deflagratio Pressure in a Closed Vessel

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of pressure generated by a deflagration inside a cylinder containing a gaseous mixture of hydrogen and oxygen. The heat generated by the reaction is 7.9kJ and can be used to determine the final temperature and number of moles of gas, which can then be used in the ideal gas law to calculate the resulting pressure. Non-ideal gas behavior may need to be considered as well.
lukebeadgcf
Forgive me because I'm not a math or physics wiz but I'm at a dead end trying to calculate the pressure generated by a deflagration inside a cylinder. I have been searching for a formula but I've come up with nothing.

Here is an example scenario:

I have a cylinder with a height of 9cm and a diameter of 13.7cm. Inside the cylinder is a gaseous mixture of 2/3 hydrogen and 1/3 oxygen at atmospheric pressure. The cylinder has been preheated to a temperature of 900 degrees Celsius (before oxidation). When the hydrogen oxidizes (either spontaneously or with a catalytic spark), the energy generated will be 7.9kJ (am I right?). So what is the resulting pressure on the cylinder and how do I calculate it?

Thanks for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
The reaction is $$2H_2+O_2=2H_2O$$So the reaction mixture is stoichiometric. The heat of this exothermic reaction at 900 C can be determined from the heat of the reaction at 25 C and the heat capacities of the reactions and product. This heat of reaction goes into raising the product to a higher temperature, which can be determined using the heat capacity of the product mixture. The number of moles of gas decreases from 3 to 2. Both the higher temperature and reduced number of moles can be used in conjunction with the ideal gas law to establish the final pressure. Consideration might have to be given to non-ideal gas behavior a postiori.

1. What is deflagration pressure?

Deflagration pressure is the maximum pressure that occurs during the combustion of a fuel-air mixture in a closed vessel. It is a measure of the explosive potential of the fuel-air mixture.

2. How do you calculate deflagration pressure?

To calculate deflagration pressure, you will need to know the volume of the closed vessel, the composition of the fuel-air mixture, and the combustion characteristics of the fuel. The most commonly used method is the TNT equivalent method, which uses the energy released during combustion to calculate the pressure.

3. What factors can affect deflagration pressure?

Several factors can affect deflagration pressure, including the composition and concentration of the fuel-air mixture, the volume and shape of the closed vessel, and the ignition source. Other factors such as temperature, pressure, and turbulence can also have an impact on deflagration pressure.

4. Why is it important to calculate deflagration pressure?

Calculating deflagration pressure is important for ensuring the safety of individuals and equipment in industrial settings where explosive atmospheres may be present. It is also a critical factor in the design of explosion-proof equipment and facilities.

5. What are some methods for reducing deflagration pressure?

To reduce deflagration pressure, it is important to control the fuel-air mixture and minimize the amount of fuel available for combustion. This can be achieved through proper ventilation and use of inert materials. Other methods include using flame arresters and explosion suppression systems to mitigate the effects of a potential explosion.