Inner Product of Complex Vectors?

In summary, the scalar product of two complex vectors is complex in general, but the inner product can be defined in such a way that the imaginary part is zero. However, this is not always the case and there are counterexamples.
kq6up
I was reading in my textbook that the scalar product of two complex vectors is also complex (I assuming this is true in general, but not in every case). However for the general definition (the inner product), each element of one of the vectors needs to be its complex conjugate. I learned this in Mary Boas' methods. If this is the case, shouldn't all the imaginary component get zapped, and leave a scalar in ##\mathbb{R}##.

Chris

Physics news on Phys.org
If A and B are different complex vectors, then (A,B) imaginary part will survive. Only for (A,A) or something similar (such as (A,B) where B is a real multiple of A) will the imaginary part = 0.

Likes 1 person
Ok, so in general the inner product is a ##\mathbb{C}##.

Thanks,
Chris

Consider the one-dimensional case, where the complex vectors are simply complex numbers ##u## and ##v##, and the inner product is ##\langle u, v \rangle = u\overline{v}##. This won't be real unless ##u## and ##v## have the same (or opposite) angles.

kq6up said:
I was reading in my textbook that the scalar product of two complex vectors is also complex (I assuming this is true in general, but not in every case). However for the general definition (the inner product), each element of one of the vectors needs to be its complex conjugate. I learned this in Mary Boas' methods. If this is the case, shouldn't all the imaginary component get zapped, and leave a scalar in ##\mathbb{R}##.
You can define an inner product on ##\mathbb C^n## by ##\langle x,y\rangle =x^\dagger y##, where ##x^\dagger## is the complex conjugate of the transpose of x. There's no reason for the imaginary part of ##\langle x,y\rangle## to be zero (for arbitrary x,y), and it's not hard to think of a counterexample, but we have
$$\langle x,x\rangle =x^\dagger x=\sum_{k=1}^n x_k^*x_k=\sum_{k=1}^n|x_k|^2,$$ and the imaginary part of this is clearly zero.

Likes 1 person

1. What is the inner product of complex vectors?

The inner product of complex vectors is a mathematical operation that takes two complex vectors as input and produces a scalar value as output. It is also known as the dot product or scalar product. It is typically denoted as <u, v> and is defined as the sum of the products of the corresponding elements of the two vectors.

2. How is the inner product of complex vectors calculated?

The inner product of complex vectors is calculated by taking the conjugate of the first vector, multiplying it with the second vector, and then summing up the products. Mathematically, it can be represented as <u, v> = ∑u*v, where u* represents the conjugate of vector u.

3. What is the significance of the inner product in complex vector spaces?

The inner product plays a crucial role in complex vector spaces because it defines the notion of length and angle between two vectors. It also helps in defining the geometry of the vector space and enables us to perform operations such as projection and orthogonalization.

4. What are the properties of the inner product of complex vectors?

Some of the properties of the inner product of complex vectors include linearity, commutativity, conjugate symmetry, and positive definiteness. These properties make the inner product a useful tool in various mathematical and scientific fields, such as quantum mechanics, signal processing, and machine learning.

5. How is the inner product used in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, the inner product of complex vectors is used to calculate the probability of measuring a particular state of a quantum system. It is also used to find the expectation value of a physical quantity and to determine the state of a system after a measurement. The inner product is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and is essential for understanding and predicting the behavior of quantum systems.