Register to reply

Is gravity just electromagnetism?

by Yashbhatt
Tags: electromagnetism, gravity
Share this thread:
Yashbhatt
Jun21-14, 12:36 PM
P: 145
Recently, I was pondering over the thought that is most of the elementary particles have intrinsic magnetism, then can gravity be just a weaker form of electromagnetic attraction? But decided the idea was silly.

But I googled it later and found this article
[removed link to crackpot website - mfb].

Is this idea really compatible with other theories as the article mentions? Is there any chance of this proposition being true?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Optimum inertial self-propulsion design for snowman-like nanorobot
The Quantum Cheshire Cat: Can neutrons be located at a different place than their own spin?
A transistor-like amplifier for single photons
Nugatory
Jun21-14, 12:42 PM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
P: 3,462
Quote Quote by Yashbhatt View Post
Recently, I was pondering over the thought that is most of the elementary particles have intrinsic magnetism, then can gravity be just a weaker form of electromagnetic attraction? But decided the idea was silly.
You came to the correct conclusion. There's nothing wrong with considering any possibility, as long as you reject the ones that don't pan out - and this is one that doesn't pan out.

But I googled it later and found this article
[removed link to crackpot website - mfb].

Is this idea really compatible with other theories as the article mentions? Is there any chance of this proposition being true?
It's crackpottery.
Matterwave
Jun21-14, 02:43 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 2,706
Do not trust any random blog you find on the internet...there is a blog for every random idea anyone has ever had out there...

mfb
Jun21-14, 08:36 PM
Mentor
P: 11,617
Is gravity just electromagnetism?

Quote Quote by Matterwave View Post
Do not trust any random blog you find on the internet...there is a blog for every random idea anyone has ever had out there...
This.

Gravity as a side-effect of electromagnetism was discussed ~100 years ago but quickly dismissed because it just does not work.
It is possible to combine both theories in a classical field theory, but even there they are different things.

Register to reply