What is a suitable thickness for a spinal disc implant endplate?

In summary, the conversation discusses designing an endplate for a spinal disc implant and determining a suitable thickness of the plate. The individual suggests looking into winkler foundations, but their supervisor advises against it. They also mention the possibility of finding helpful information on forums.
cabellos6
rectangular plate bending...

I am designing an endplate for a spinal disc implant as shown in the image below.

http://img155.imageshack.us/my.php?i...ndplatenb5.jpg"

I need to determine a suitable thickness of plate h. I thought about looking into winkler foundations to begin with but i have not studied this as yet and my supervisor has since told me this is too complex. Looking at the picture above how might i go about finding this suitable thickness of plate h?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org

I am unable to open the link.

There also may be some forums that could be of some use, search "winkler foundations".

Winkler foundations are usually meant for beams on flexible foundations. Are you sure that is what you really need (I can't open the link either)?

1. What is rectangular plate bending?

Rectangular plate bending is a phenomenon that occurs when a flat, rectangular sheet of material is subjected to external forces, causing it to deform and bend into a curved shape.

2. What factors affect rectangular plate bending?

The amount and direction of external forces, the thickness and material properties of the plate, and the boundary conditions all play a role in rectangular plate bending.

3. What are the different types of rectangular plate bending?

There are two main types of rectangular plate bending: single curvature, where the plate bends in one direction, and double curvature, where the plate bends in two directions simultaneously.

4. How is rectangular plate bending analyzed?

Rectangular plate bending is typically analyzed using mathematical equations and numerical methods, such as the finite element method, to determine the stress and strain distribution within the plate.

5. What are some real-world applications of rectangular plate bending?

Rectangular plate bending is used in various industries, such as construction, aerospace, and automotive, to design and analyze structures and components that experience bending forces, such as beams, panels, and shells.